6

Aadyaa slowly opened her eyes, her gaze bleary from the sudden change from sleep to wakefulness

Aadyaa slowly opened her eyes, her gaze bleary from the sudden change from sleep to wakefulness. She was met with the sight of her husband's veiny and heavy arm wrapped around her naked waist, the weight of it pinning her to the mattress. They had spent their first night together as husband and wife just a few hours ago, and now she was faced with the reality of waking up to this new chapter in their lives.
She looked at the clock to see it was 3:30am. They had been intimate till 2:00am.
The arm around her waist tightened its grip, as if sensing her tension. Aadya's heart skipped a beat as she slowly turned her head to the side, careful not to wake him. She sighed in relief when she found his eyes closed, his face peaceful and glowing under the moonlight. Something inside her yearned to caress his face and snuggle deeper into his embrace.

But then, a wave of self-awareness washed over her. What was she thinking?

She forcefully redirected her thoughts and allowed exhaustion and tiredness to finally take over.

As she woke, expecting her new husband beside her, Aadya felt a pang of disappointment when she found the space empty

As she woke, expecting her new husband beside her, Aadya felt a pang of disappointment when she found the space empty. Hadn't she been warned not to expect love, let alone anything else? Tears welled up in her eyes. "God! What did I do to deserve this treatment from my family, in-laws, and now my husband?"

Slowly rising from the bed, she glanced at the wall clock. "Holy shit! It's 5:00 am"
Her mother's words echoed in her mind.

Wake up early every morning, and make sure the house is clean and everything is in order. Start preparing breakfast and help with cooking and cleaning throughout the day.

She realized she was already failing to uphold the first instruction her mother had given her. With a frustrated hiss, she hastily stood up, but a sudden pain made her pause and and sit back down. She gingerly made her way to the bathroom, which was a shock to her - in their village, washrooms were always located outside the house, often at its edge. This indoor facility was an unexpected luxury.

Aadyaa stood in the bathroom, marveling at the novelty of having an indoor facility. It was a stark contrast to the village life she was accustomed to, where such conveniences were unheard of. She couldn't help but feel a twinge of bitterness at the disparity between her expectations and the reality of her marriage.