9

I woke up slowly, the early morning light gently filtering through the window

I woke up slowly, the early morning light gently filtering through the window. Blinking a few times, I allowed my eyes to adjust to the soft glow. As my senses sharpened, I realized I was lying on top of my husband, Atharv. My head rested against his chest, and his arm was draped protectively around me.

My heart skipped a beat, and my cheeks flushed with embarrassment. How had I ended up in this position? Carefully lifting my head, I checked that Atharv was still asleep, his face peaceful and almost boyish in the morning light.

 How had I ended up in this position? Carefully lifting my head, I checked that Atharv was still asleep, his face peaceful and almost boyish in the morning light

Quietly, I disentangled myself from his embrace, moving slowly so as not to wake him. Once free, I sat up and took a moment to steady my racing heart. The intimacy of our position had caught me off guard, and I couldn't help feeling shy about it.

Determined to start the day right, I gathered myself quickly. I couldn't afford to be late and face my mother-in-law's displeasure again. Silently slipping out of bed, I moved around the room, collecting a fresh saree and my other essentials. I needed to bathe in the Yamuna before joining Atharv for the Shiv puja.

Glancing at Atharv one last time, still peacefully asleep, I smiled softly to myself. Picking up my packed items, I quietly left the room, my bare feet making no sound on the floor.

The room was quiet as I made my way to the bathroom. Yesterday's exhaustion was fresh in my memory, urging me to move swiftly. I didn't want to experience another day like that, so I needed to be on top of my duties from the very start.

After a quick but thorough bath, I changed into a simple, fresh cotton saree, packing an extra one for my bath in the Yamuna. I wrapped my wet hair in a towel and carefully adorned myself with my marital bangles, mangalsutra, and applied sindoor. I left the heavier jewelry tucked away; it wasn't needed for the morning rituals.

Feeling a mix of determination and nervousness, I left the walk-in closet and returned to the room to see if Atharv had woken up. He was stirring, stretching as he still lay on the bed with his arms behind his head, his sleepy eyes lighting up as he saw me.

"Good morning," I greeted softly with flushed cheeks remembering last night, despite trying to sound composed despite my earlier embarrassment and memories of last night.