Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen : Mishaps

Lia's heart skipped a beat at the sight of Chaeryeong's name on the screen. Without hesitation, she answered the call.

"Eonnie! I'm att he hospital right now... I don't know what to do." Lia's heart sank as she heard the panic in Chaeryeong's voice. Hospital? What had happened?

"Hey, hey, calm down," Lia said, her tone filled with concern. "What do you mean you're at the hospital? What's going on?"

"Yeji eonnie..." Lia's heart clenched at Chaeryeong's words. Panic surged through her, but she tried to keep her voice steady.

"Okay, stay calm," Lia said, her mind racing. "What happened to Yeji? And why are you at the hospital? Are you with her?"

"We we're alone... She was helping me pack when blood...blood gushed on her thighs..." Lia's breath caught in her throat, her grip on the phone tightening. Blood... That didn't sound good.

"Okay, stay calm," she repeated, her voice shaky. "Is Yeji conscious? Is she awake?"

"She's in the O.R." Lia's heart pounded in her chest as she listened to Chaeryeong. Yeji was in the operating room? That sounded serious.

"Okay, stay with me, Chaeryeong," Lia said, her voice firm. "What about the baby? Did she mention anything about the baby?"

"I..Yeji eonnie is okay but the doctor said she might have a miscarriage. They're trying to save the baby."  Lia's heart sank even further, her mind racing with worry. A miscarriage...that was her worst fear. She couldn't bear the thought of Yeji going through such a traumatic experience.

"Oh God," Lia whispered, her voice breaking. "Okay, stay strong. The doctors are doing everything they can. How long has she been in the operating room?"

"A few minutes... I don't know anymore. Mom and dad are out of town and they don't know eonnie is pregnant... and you're away at New York." Lia felt a pang of helplessness, knowing that she was miles away and unable to provide comfort to her sisters. Her heart ached at the thought of Yeji going through this alone.

"I wish I was there," she said, her voice choked with emotion. "But I'm here for you, okay? I'll stay on the phone with you until you have news. We're in this together."

Time passed slowly and the minutes ticked by as Lia stayed on the phone with Chaeryeong, offering support and comfort as best as she could from a distance. The anxiety and tension between them felt palpable, each second seeming to stretch out into an eternity.

"Eonnie... Yeji eonnie is okay but the baby..." Lia's heart lurched, her knuckles turning white as she gripped the phone tightly.

"What happened to the baby?" she asked, her voice filled with trepidation.

" They couldn't save him." Lia's mind replayed Chaeryeong's words, each one a dagger to her heart. It was their nephew, the baby who would have brought so much joy and happiness to their family. And now, he was gone.

"It's not fair," she murmured, her voice barely a whisper. "It's just not fair."

"She doesn't want to talk." Lia's heart ached more as Chaeryeong updated her on Yeji's condition.