Chapter 3: Dread.

Jasmine

It's the day I've been dreading. And right when I thought it couldn't be any worse, that boy had to pester me for the whole last period. He's one of that group who kept laughing at me. I don't know why the sudden interest. It erkes me and as if his persistence wasn't enough, I had to deal with his friends roaming around, watching closely all day. Except for that boy. The Library. He didn't seem like he was interested in whatever his friends were playing. He just watched a little from afar but rather than interest he seemed annoyed at their actions.

Taking a deep breath I knock on the door. I've been standing at our porch for ten minutes now, trying to gather some courage. My dad opens the door and as soon as he sees me, his face lights up. He pulls me into a hug and I hug him back. He pulls away and takes my hand pulling me in. Trying to hide my nerves, I smile a little listening to whatever he was saying about dinner and how mom has been waiting, making my favorite dishes.

I smile. I act as if I believe him, as if I'm excited. I know better. I know better than falling for that again. Mom will never be waiting. Mom will never be cooking for me. Mom will never forget. She will never forgive me. If anything he's probably the one who cooked today. Maybe he had to talk mom too much to get her join us on the table.

We sit at the table with all my favorites actually displayed infront of us. For ten minutes we wait and mom doesn't show up. The awkwardness grows the longer she isn't there and he just keeps smiling awkwardly at me.

"She's coming down. She must've taken longer in the shower since she's been in the kitchen till late."

I smile at him nodding slightly. A moment later mom comes down and goes directly to her seat not bothering to look at me.

We start having dinner neither me or mom talking. Dad was going on with whatever story he was telling about how he got his promotion earlier and I was just smiling trying to look like I'm listening.

The sudden sound of cutlery had him stop. Both our heads snap to mom to find her looking at her plate with her fork slammed against it.

"Honey?" Dad lets out carefully, looking at her.

"What exactly is this? What is going on?" She asks her sound calm and steady, sending shivers down my spine.

"What are you talking about? Dinner? What is what?" Dad asks slightly confused, sending me a concerned look. He knows what this is about. We both know what this is all about.

"Dinner?!!" She lets out a sarcastic laugh and dad stops looking at her.

"So what? We're going to sit here have dinner, acting like a happy family? And what?"

"We are a family, Monica. What's wrong with you?"

"What is wrong with me? What is wrong with me???! What is wrong with you?!! Why is she here??"

"She's our daughter. Why wouldn't she be here?"

Both their voices get louder and I feel my breathing getting heavier.

I need to get out of here.

"Daughter?" She glances at my direction and stands up looking away.