Chapter 13: Caramel Iced latte.

Jasmine

After having ice cream with Liam at the park, I felt so much better, so much lighter. My mind was quiet when he was around. I didn't think about mom and her words, dad and his messy tries at getting us back, or my little sister. I was at peace. Even if it's only for the few moments I'm with him, it still warms my heart.

He walked me to the dorms. Well, he just walked 'with me' and 'I don't need to flatter my self since he lives near the campus.' The walk was quiet but not the awkward kinda way. It was peaceful.

The next day I didn't have any lectures or labs so I just walked to the library to get some work done. As soon as I got to the window seat I found him. He was sitting there, the sunlight shining through the window accentuating his face, his brown eyes shining with a bright hue of honey. His dark hair was messy as if he has been like that for a few hours, holding a book, totally engrossed in it. His eyes snap up, meeting mine as if he sensed my presence. I snap out of my thoughts and smile walking up to him.

"Good morning!" I greet him cheerfully. He nods.

I start moving the throws on the seat while his eyes follow me with a questioning stare.

"Well, that have been my seat since I first visited this library, and since you seem to prefer it as well, we'll have to share. Now, scoot over." I say as I seat myself facing him.

He rolls his eyes, moving his legs, making space for me and goes back to what he's been reading and I start taking out my books. I start going for the page I last studied, but couldn't help but ask.

"How long have you been here?"

"Eight hours." He replies casually while his eyes continue skimming through the page.

"Eight hours?!!" My eyes widen. He nods."You didn't sleep? Wait! You didn't go home yesterday?!"

He doesn't respond, turning the page peacefully.

"You know the library offers a borrowing system, right? You could have checked the book out and went home." I explain.

"The book was quite interesting, I lost track of time." He says simply.

I look at the cover. 'How to reassess your chess. By Jeremy Silman.'

"You like chess?" I ask, more like to myself.

He looks at me, his eyes leaving the book for the first time since I started talking.

"It helps me understand life." He muses. A gleam in his eyes pulls me in. Careful, curious, and enthusiastic, like a little kid showing his favourite toy to a stranger.

"Understand Life?" I repeat,trying to process the  meaning behind it.

"Life is just a big game of chess. We all have roles in it. Instead of being just a mere piece, I want to be the player." He says deeply lost in his mind.

I nod slowly thinking about what he said when suddenly something else hits me. I smile.

"What?" He asks with his eyebrows furrowed slightly at my expression.

"Nothing." I shake my head, my smile only getting wider. "You do realize that this is the first time you've talked about yourself with me."