18 The Briefing

In the quiet hospital room, Aki lay unconscious, her wounds being tended to by the medical staff. Beside her, Hoshina sat, eyes fixed on her peaceful face, waiting for her to wake up. The room was silent except for the rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor.

Hoshina's phone buzzed, breaking the silence. It was Captain Ashiro.

"Hoshina, where are you? We need to discuss urgent matters regarding a kaiju Division 1 saw."

Hoshina hesitated, glancing at Aki. He didn't want to leave her, but he knew he had to do this for her safety as well. He gently squeezed her hand one last time before heading to the meeting hall.

In the meeting room, Captain Ashiro Mina, Division 1 Captain Gen Narumi, and Vice Captain Eiji Hasegawa were already seated. The atmosphere was tense, the air thick with anticipation.

Vice Captain Hasegawa began the briefing. "We are here today to discuss the kaiju Division 1 found near our bases. We discovered that this kaiju can disguise itself as a human. It can talk and act like a human. We call it Kaiju No. 9."

Ashiro and Hoshina were visibly shocked at this revelation. This Kaiju must be the one who had spoken to Aki.

Ashiro explained, "We encountered a similar situation two days ago."

Gen Narumi, with his usual energetic demeanor, declared, "In other words, we will show that kaiju who is the boss here... and it's me! I will kick that kaiju!"

No one reacted to Gen's outburst. The seriousness of the situation left no room for his theatrics.

Hoshina then asked, "So, you want us to team up because this kaiju was found near both our bases?"

"Yes," Hasegawa confirmed. "This kaiju poses a significant threat, and collaboration is essential."

Gen, sitting on the other side of the table, glared at Hoshina, feeling childishly furious. He considered Hoshina a show-off and didn't like the idea of working with him.

As the meeting concluded, Hoshina's thoughts were still on Aki. He hurried back to the hospital room, finding her still unconscious but stable. He sat down beside her, determined to protect her from any threat, kaiju or otherwise.

In the briefing room, Gen Narumi muttered to himself, "Hoshina... always trying to outshine me." But even he couldn't deny the gravity of the situation they faced.

Ashiro Mina stayed back, pondering the implications of Kaiju No. 9. If it could disguise itself as a human, there was no telling what other dangers it could pose. She knew they had to be prepared for anything.