29 Devastation

It had been almost an hour since Hoshina and the others began fighting the swarm of kaijus. In her room, Aki couldn't focus on anything, her mind filled with worry. She silently prayed that everyone would be alright, especially Hoshina.

Suddenly, a deafening explosion rocked the building. Aki rushed to her window, her heart pounding. To her horror, she saw that almost the entire Division 1 base had been caught in the blast. Only the building she was in remained untouched.

With fear and determination fueling her, Aki sprinted to the rooftop. The scene that met her eyes was devastating. The once formidable Division 1 base was now a smoldering ruin. Fires raged, and debris was scattered everywhere. The sky was filled with smoke, and the acrid smell of burning materials stung her nose.

Desperately, Aki scanned the chaos below, searching for any sign of her comrades, especially Hoshina. Her eyes darted from the ground to the sky, hoping to catch a glimpse of anyone who had survived the explosion.

Minutes felt like hours as she searched. Finally, she saw a group of soldiers moving through the wreckage, escorting Kafka Hibino as if he were a criminal. Confusion and worry filled her as she wondered why Kafka was being treated this way. What had happened during the battle?

Her heart nearly stopped when she saw Ichikawa carrying Hoshina. Hoshina was in a terrible state, his body battered and bruised. His nose was dripping blood, and his face was so wounded it looked as if he had been struck by a massive kaiju. He could barely stand, let alone walk.

Aki's fear turned into a surge of adrenaline. She couldn't stay on the rooftop any longer. She had to get to Hoshina. She raced down the stairs, her mind racing with a thousand thoughts and emotions. What had happened? How had things gone so wrong?

When she finally reached the ground, she saw Ichikawa and the other soldiers carefully lowering Hoshina onto a stretcher. The sight of him in such a vulnerable state made her chest tighten with pain and fear.

"Vice Captain Hoshina!" she called out, rushing to his side. Her voice was a mix of desperation and hope.

Hoshina's eyes fluttered open at the sound of her voice. He looked up at her, his expression a mix of pain and relief. "Aki..." he whispered, his voice weak but filled with warmth.

Tears welled up in Aki's eyes as she knelt beside him. "I'm here, Soshiro. I'm here," she said softly, gently taking his hand in hers.

Ichikawa, who had been assisting Hoshina, gave Aki a reassuring nod. "We need to get him to the medical bay immediately," he said, his tone urgent but calm.

Aki nodded, her grip on Hoshina's hand tightening. She stood up and helped the soldiers lift the stretcher, her mind focused on getting Hoshina the help he needed. As they moved, she couldn't help but glance at Kafka, who was still being escorted by the other soldiers. The confusion about his situation gnawed at her, but right now, Hoshina's well-being was her top priority.

The journey to the medical bay felt endless, but Aki's determination never wavered. She kept whispering words of encouragement to Hoshina, hoping to keep him conscious and focused. "You're going to be okay, Soshiro. Just hold on a little longer."

Finally, they reached the medical bay, where doctors and nurses were already waiting. Hoshina was quickly taken into a treatment room, leaving Aki standing outside, her heart aching with worry. She leaned against the wall, trying to steady her breathing and calm her racing thoughts.