"If It Happens"

𝙄𝙛 𝙄𝙩 𝙃𝙖𝙥𝙥𝙚𝙣𝙨

「 TWDG: Jane, Clementine, and AJ 」

Summary: Based in season 4, Jane, Clementine, and AJ discuss the future and what happens in a worst-case scenario. TW: m*scarriage mention.

Words: 1.4k [ ⏱︎ 8 mins ]

━━━━━━ ₊˚⊹

"I hate it when you drive."

Jane rolled her eyes. "Oh, shut up. I was driving eons before you."

"Doesn't mean you're better." Clem teased, smirking.

AJ groaned from the backseat, silencing their playful bickering. "It's so unfair. Why do you two get to drive, and I can't?"

"Because you're five, kiddo," Jane said, meeting his eyes in the rearview mirror. "You're a ways away from learning how to drive."

"Clem learned when she was thirteen. How is it that different?"

"It's about eight years different, I'm afraid," Clementine said, pulling her passenger mirror down. She wanted to get a read on his face, but instead watched as he stuck his tongue out at her. "I saw that."

AJ snapped back to his normal self. "Where are we going?" He tried to change the subject.

Clementine didn't answer, turning to Jane and briefly meeting her gaze. Jane cleared her throat and looked back at the road. "Wherever looks safe to set up camp for the night." Clem could tell Jane was unsure.

"So, we don't have a plan?" AJ asked, raising a brow. The girls hated how AJ was starting to develop their sense of sarcasm and wit.

"We have a plan," Jane began. Clem could tell she was hesitant to continue. "It's just a loose plan."

"What does that mean?"

"It means I know where we're going, we might just wing it, a little bit."

"Wing it?"

"Improvise." Clementine rephrased, looking in the rearview mirror.

"Improvise?"

Clem and Jane both closed their eyes, contemplating what they were going to say. "It means we have a plan, but parts of it might change as we go." Jane settled on.

Finally, at least momentarily, there was silence. That seemed to satisfy him. For a while, they rode in mainly silence, AJ drifting in and out of conversations that led nowhere. After what felt like hours, Jane turned down a small dirt road that led to a small campground. The fire pit didn't look recently used, thankfully. So, after navigating the camouflaged vehicle to shield their area, the trio got out and Jane began to start their fire.

After making a mediocre attempt at a soup, AJ laid down. Using Clementine's extra jacket as a pillow and Jane's as a blanket, he turned away from the fire and faded into sleep.

As Jane and Clementine watched him drift off, they sat in sweet silence, relishing in the momentary peace. However, as time waned, Jane's expression fell. She stared through the fire, watching AJ's chest rise and fall. "Clementine, we need to talk."

Clem turned without saying a word. The phrase always put Clementine on edge, as though she was about to hear a bombshell that would ruin her world.

Jane signed through her nose and closed her eyes. "I think we need to talk about what to do if something happens to me."

"What do you mean?"

Jane opened her eyes but didn't look away from the fire. She had another pregnancy scare. It was thanks to a group member who'd arrived and been killed, all in around a week. Jane barely had a chance to explore the possibility of getting to know him, let alone him being a father, before she woke up one morning bleeding through her clothes. During that time, they'd walk for up to 12 hours a day with barely any food or water. They would only rest for a few hours a day, and would only eat what little they could salvage.