Prologue

On the first day of July 1980, Aegor Targaryen and his wife Nymeria Velaryon welcomed twins. The naming of the twins sparked an intense argument between the couple. Aegor, deeply rooted in the heritage of their family, wished to honor their ancestors by naming them Rhaenyra and Jacaerys, despite the names being taboo. Nymeria, however, feared the weight and expectations these names would bring upon their children. "The weight of those names is too burdensome," she argued, her voice filled with concern. "We must select names of their own destinies. "Aegor, unwavering in his decision, replied, "Our children must bear the might and dignity of our forebears. They are the very essence of our lineage and magic." After hours of heated discussion, Nymeria reluctantly agreed, understanding the significance behind Aegor's wishes. "Then may they ascend to the greatness these names demand," she conceded, with a heavy heart.

Seven days later, the birth of Rhaenyra and Jacaerys Targaryen coincided with the hatching of their twin dragons, Silverclaw and Tessarion, with Silverclaw being a silvery dragon and Tessarion being a pale silvery dragon. From the moment they hatched, the twins shared a deep bond with their dragons. Silverclaw and Tessarion were not just companions to Rhaenyra and Jacaerys, but extensions of themselves.

Growing up on Dragonstone, the twins were inseparable; they ate, played, and even bathed together, always accompanied by their dragons. From a young age, their daily lessons immersed them in the rich traditions and lore of their house, combining mundane and arcane knowledge. The twins often found maesters poring over ancient tomes alongside them, regaling them with tales of their storied lineage and teaching them the arts of dragon riding, spell casting, and High Valyrian. As toddlers, they would gaze in awe as their father soared through the skies on the back of Mirrax, pointing and squealing in delight, trying to mimic the dragons' roars.

Their first ride happened before their eighth name day. On that morning, Aegor brought the twins to the dragon pit where their dragons awaited. The dragons were already large enough to support their riders. Aegor instructed the twins on how to mount the dragons, how to sit securely, and how to hold on tightly. He offered words of advice, his voice tinged with pride and a hint of anxiousness. With a powerful surge of wind, the dragons ascended into the sky. Jacaerys and Rhaenyra screamed with joy, the wind streaming through their hair as they soared high above Dragonstone.

Jacaerys, the more extroverted of the two, was a born leader. With his fiery spirit and quick mind, Silverclaw—known for its stubbornness and determination—mirrored his personality. Rhaenyra was more introspective, often lost in her thoughts, yet equally headstrong. Her dragon, Tessarion, was a sight to behold, fearsome yet loyal.

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

When Rhaenyra was eight, her nightmares began, so she did what she always did - she looked for her brother.

"Jace?" she whispered as she crawled onto his bed, clutching her hands to her chest. He turned towards her.

"Nyra? What's wrong?"

"Can I sleep here?" she murmured, blushing slightly. "I had a nightmare."

Jacaerys sighed, rubbing his eyes before he sat up against the headboard, pulling Rhaenyra down to sit next to him. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Rhaenyra shook her head. "Can we talk about anything else.. Please?"

"Why did mother ask for you today? I had to sit with the maester and talk about the dance of dragons again..."