Quicksilver

Winter transformed Dragonstone into a snowy wonderland, much to the dragons' disdain. Icicles hung, and a thick layer of white frosting coated the trees, giving the island a magical appearance.

Two days after the twins returned from school, Nymeria summoned them to the grand hall, its stone walls warmed by the crackling fire that roared in the hearth. She pulled them aside before they went dragon riding, her expression unusually solemn. The gravity of her demeanor hinted that the conversation they were about to have would be of great importance. As the three of them sat by the fire, Nymeria spoke.

"There is something I need to tell you. Sirius Black is your godfather. Your father does not know that you two have a godfather." The revelation hit them like a splash of cold water, shock freezing their expressions. Rhaenyra and Jacaerys stared at their mother, their minds racing with questions.

Nymeria took a deep breath, her eyes settling on the twins as if preparing them for another blow. "I've always been close to the Black family. Sirius was like an older brother to me, and before I married Aegor, I was engaged to Regulus Black." She paused, letting the weight of her words settle around them. That their mother had been engaged to another man before their father was a revelation they hadn't expected.

Rhaenyra's voice finally broke the silence. "Why didn't you ever tell us this before? Why keep it a secret?"

Nymeria's gaze softened, her shoulders sagging under the invisible burden she had carried for so long. "Some truths are too painful to speak, too dangerous to share," she replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

"There were a multitude of reasons — protecting you was one. You understand that there are things in our family's past, alliances and secrets, that are difficult to unravel."

Jacaerys leaned forward. "What happened, Mother? Why did you end your engagement to Regulus?"

For a moment, it appeared she might share more, but then she shook her head. "That's all I can tell you for now," she said firmly.

"This knowledge itself is dangerous, and some things are better left in the shadows until time is right." She looked at her children.

The twins sat in silence, trying to process the weight of their mother's words. The crackling of the fire seemed louder in the quiet room.

"Mother?" Rhaenyra asked hesitantly. "You were in the same year as regulus?"

Nymeria nodded.

"So, you know Evan Rosier and Tiberius Nott?"

Nymeria hesitated, gazing back to the fireplace. "Perhaps that's enough for today. I have taken much of your riding time."

"Mother? - "

Nymeria cut her off. "Rhaenyra, some things are better left with the dead."

As they mounted their dragons and soared into the sky, cold air biting their faces, Rhaenyra and Jacaerys couldn't shake the feeling that this was just the beginning. The wind howled around them, Rhaenyra tightened her grip on Tessarion's reins, her thoughts a whirlwind of questions. Jacaerys, riding beside her on Silverclaw, felt similar emotions coursing through his veins, his mind racing with possibilities, yet only lingering thoughts about Theodore remained. Why did Rhaenyra want to know more about his father and who Evan is?

As Tessarion and Silverclaw cut through the frigid air, landing back in the pit. Dismounting their dragons, Rhaenyra pressed her forehead against Tessarion. The dragon keepers approached them.

"Dohaeras Tessarion," (Obey)

"Dohaeras Silverclaw," (Obey)

"Lykiri" (Clam down)