Dreamfyre

The ride to the keep was tense. Rhaenyra tried talking to him, but he just grunted in response. When they finally reached the keep, Rhaenyra breathed a sigh of relief. Jacaerys grabbed both their trunks and made his way up a winding path leading up to the castle. They finally reached the heavy wooden doors of the keep, Jacaerys pushed them open, and they stepped inside.

Jacaerys set down their trunks and turned to her. "I'm going to go put our things away," he said, his voice still cold.

She took a deep breath, smoothing out her dress. In the great hall she found her mother, Nymeria, beautiful as ever and her father, Aegor, stood beside her. The center of the room had a large wooden table set for dinner.

"Rhaenyra," her mother said, opening her arms. Rhaenyra hugged her tightly. "I missed you," she whispered.

Her mother stroked her hair. "We missed you too, my sweet,"

Nymeria studied her. " You look well," she said, her eyes sparkling. "I trust your year at Hogwarts was good?"

Rhaenyra nodded, forcing a smile. "It was," she said, trying to sound cheerful. 

"Father." She ran over to him and pulled him into a hug, then he kissed the top of her head.

"Let's eat." Aegor laughed.

Once Rhaenyra turned around, Jacaerys was already in his seat. He was quiet, only speaking when spoken to. Once dinner was finally over, Rhaenyra excused herself. She was exhausted, and she just wanted to go to bed. She said goodnight to her parents and made her way up to her room. Quickly changed into a nightgown before slipping out into bed. Knowing she wouldn't be able to sleep, she sat up and decided. In a swift motion, she discarded her covers and quietly exited her room. Making her way to Jacaerys' room, turned the handle and slipped inside.

Jacaerys was sitting on his bed, a book in his hand. But he wasn't reading, he was staring off into space. He saw her as soon as he heard the door close, and his eyes locked on hers.

"Rhaenyra?" he didn't look surprised.

"This ends now, Jace," her voice firm. She stepped further into the room.

Jacaerys set his book aside, his eyes never leaving hers. "What are you talking about, Nyra?"

She could hear the anger simmering beneath his words. "Don't play dumb, Jace," she snapped, her hands on her hips. "You know exactly what I'm talking about. You've been ignoring me for a fortnight."

"Because of him," Jacaerys spat. "Because you invited him here without even asking me. You already decided when you spoke to me."

"Well, excuse me for not asking your permission. I didn't realize I needed it to invite a friend over." Rhaenyra shot back, rolling her eyes.

"A friend?" Jacaerys scoffed. "Is that what he is to you, Nyra? A friend?"

Rhaenyra frowned; confusion etched on her face. "Of course, he's my friend," she said. "What's gotten into you, Jace? You're being ridiculous."

"Ridiculous?" Jacaerys repeated, his voice rising. "You do not know, do you? You do not know how he looks at you."

Rhaenyra shrugged. "With friendship, I presume," she said.

Jacaerys laughed, a harsh sound. "You are a fool," waving his hand dismissively. "That is not the point. I'm your twin, your brother, your other half. You should have come to me instead of him."

Rhaenyra felt guilty. "I'm sorry, Jace."

Jacaerys scoffed again. "You never think of me, Nyra. Not anymore."