Meraxes

As December began, Divination class became a mix of intrigue and dread for Rhaenyra. Her dreams were growing increasingly vivid, filling her with anxiety over what she might uncover in the dream journal assignment Professor Trelawney had given them. Over the past two weeks, Theodore had become her solace. Night after night, she awoke from chilling night terrors, drenched in sweat, and would hastily jot down the fragments she remembered into her journal before heading down to the common room.

Theodore, noticing her nightly distress, prepared a special herbal tea to help her sleep. Initially hesitant, she eventually accepted his kind offer. Rhaenyra deeply appreciated his support but sensed he had something weighing on his mind that he struggled to voice—until tonight.

Red-eyed, Theodore stared into the fire, looking more troubled than ever. Rhaenyra quietly sat beside him, placing a gentle hand on his knee.

"Are you alright? I see you've made two cups tonight. Have you lost sleep as well?" He didn't respond, prompting her concern to deepen. "What's wrong, Theodore? You can talk to me." His body trembled slightly. "It's... it's her death anniversary," he whispered, his voice barely audible.

"I'm so sorry, Theodore. I didn't know."

He looked at her, his eyes red and swollen. "Eight years today. Eight years since I lost my mum. She was my everything, the only person who ever truly loved me," he said, his voice cracking with emotion. "And my dad... he's a nightmare. He's never home, and when he is, it's like living in a war zone. He calls me Theodore. I hate that name." Rhaenyra felt her heart breaking.

"He's trying to erase any trace of her from my life. There are no portraits of her on the walls, just a photo that's in my closet." He cried.

"Without that photo... I wouldn't even remember what she looks like alive.... I only remember making her calming tea. I only remember finding her dead." A lump formed in Rhaenyra's throat.

"She loved another, and when Evan died... he erased her memories of him... to marry her.... I think he killed her."

"Even without her memories, she could never love a monster like him." She could feel raw pain radiating off him.

"I'm so sorry, Theo. That's awful."

"I don't know what to do," he admitted, his voice trembling. "I feel so... utterly helpless."

As panic set in, his breathing quickened, and his hands clenched into tight fists. Rhaenyra could see the deep fear in his eyes, the same fear that had haunted him for endless nights.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," she whispered, taking his hands in hers. "You're safe here. Just breathe with me, okay?"

He tried to calm himself, but the panic was overwhelming. His body shook uncontrollably. Rhaenyra pulled him into a tight hug, her arms cradling him. Initially, he froze, but slowly, the tension in his body eased. The warmth of her embrace was a foreign sensation. He hadn't felt physical touch like this in years, not since his mother had died. He buried his face in her shoulder, finding solace in her scent. When his breathing finally steadied, Rhaenyra gently laid his head on her lap. She played with his hair, the rhythmic movements a soothing balm for his troubled mind. It reminded him of his mother, the way she would stroke his hair when he was upset.

A pang of longing shot through him, but couldn't cry anymore. He just let her be there for him. As minutes turned into what felt like hours, a sense of peace washed over him. He felt safe in Rhaenyra's arms.

Rhaenyra barely heard him "Father doesn't know that I know his secret" Without realizing it, his eyes closed.

Rhaenyra continued to play with his hair, her touch gentle and reassuring. She knew she would never call him Theodore again. She could feel his body relax against her, his breathing steady and deep. Slowly, the weight of exhaustion pulled them both under, as sleep claimed them.