P R O L O G U E

Prologue
Denial is a river in Egypt

Minami, Osaka
MMA Center

     Kota kept his eyes closed, music in his ears as he jogged in place to keep his body warm. It was an important fight. He was confident. He could hear the stadium shout his name before he stepped out. He gave his coach one last look before he walked out of the lockers.

Ladies and Gentlemen! Our champion tonight: Kota!

     Hip-hop music loudly played as Kota walked to the ring, followed by his team. He climbed into the ring, acclaimed by everyone. He looked to the side to meet Kali's eyes, giving her a subtle wink. Cameras shifted from him to her, making her smile and wave at the camera. She displayed her "Team Kota" shirt, supporting her boyfriend. They had been openly dating for a year. It was common for Kali to be at his tournaments. The camera went to the ring to show Kota's opponent before the fight could start.
     Kali cheered when the bell rang, scanning the cage. "You got this," she said, even though he couldn't hear her.
     The challenger started his intimidation work by flexing his muscles. Kota raised his eyebrows, unimpressed. "As extra as always, Hikeru." Kota sighed, putting his guard up.
     Kota rarely needed more than one round to win. A few more punches before Hikeru's team declared technical K.O. Kota lazily smiled, walking around the cage under the crowd's applause and cheers.

Once again, Kota wins the championship!

     The referee placed the golden belt on Kota's shoulders. Kota looked at Kali, who was jumping, proud of her boyfriend. He grinned at her reaction, proud of himself. "For you," he pointed at her, making her fangirl harder.

The next day

Yakuza Village, Tokyo
Amaya's house

     Kali was on the couch, profoundly sighing while Amaya spoke on the phone. "Can't you bring the eggs when you finish?" the woman complained. Kali chuckled. She could hear Yoru complaining about the task. The engaged couple had bickered a lot since they started living together—it was cute. Amaya frowned. Then don't complain about having no food when you come home," she hung up, visibly aggravated. "Sorry, Kali... Kota won yesterday! Congrats!"
     Kali grinned. "Thank you! I'm proud! He was happy I came, but I'm so lazy for today's schedule..." she complained, staring at the ceiling.
     Amaya studied Kali's face. "Apart from that, how have you been feeling?" she asked, sitting next to her and playing with her engagement ring. "About Ian?"
     Kali winced at the mention of his name. "Ah... Amaya..." she groaned.
     Amaya bit her lip anxiously. "I'm sorry! It's just that... You know! I've seen him on the news. I'm sure you did, too..."
     Kali wanted to avoid the question. "Yeah, well... I have nothing to say. It's been three years..."
     "But don't you think he will come back for you? I feel like he would. He said once he's there, he'll come back. Ian is a lot of things, but he's not a liar!" Amaya defended.
     Kali shrugged. "He couldn't handle the little long distance we did. I don't think Ian is into me anymore, Amaya," she stood up, sounding strict.
     After Ian left, he and Kali kept texting. He visited her a few times until he stopped. They decided to end the relationship properly because he became distant, and she was hurt. She met Kota after and publicly dated him. He was a sweet man, but Ian never entirely left her heart. Kali stretched and groaned again. She had heard about Ian's new situation. From afar, it looked like he became an influential man in Korea. But he didn't call her back—and she had a new boyfriend anyway. "I should go. I need to join Naomi at the agency," she smiled at the apologetic Amaya.
     "Alright... I'll be watching!" Amaya cheered up Kali, watching her leave the house.
     Kali walked out and grabbed her helmet. She tied her hair in a low ponytail and hopped on her white motorbike. Her small backpack fit everything she needed for the day. She revved the engine several times before exiting the YV and playing hip-hop music.