32•Show me you didn't change

Chapter 32
Show me you didn't change.

•A Week Later•

Yakuza Village
Shrine

     The sky was grey, and the wind was cold. Kali looked out the window with a peculiar pain in her heart. She looked at her lap. The soft Kimono Kali had felt a little heavy on her shoulders. She stared at the beautiful garden until she heard steps coming into the room. Kali turned around to see Naomi in her red Japanese wedding robe. She smiled from seeing how lovely she looked, but the expression on her face was so grave. "You look gorgeous..." Kali spoke.

     Naomi nodded. "Thank you..." she bowed slightly. "I'm ready now... We should go."

     Kali stood, quickly fixing her low bun and following Naomi outside.

     The wedding came quicker than planned. Naomi didn't invite any of her family. She wanted to keep it a secret. The faster, the better. Kali walked alongside Naomi in the hallway. "I'm... I'm sorry, Naomi..."

     The agent and bride looked at Kali, perplexed. "Sorry? Why are you sorry?" she chuckled.

     Kali kept her eyes on the floor while they walked. "If you didn't agree to be my agent back then, you would be happy, now... Not like this..."

     Naomi frowned a little. "Please, don't say that... If anything, I should thank you. I thank you for trusting me with your secret. I never thought I would be this involved in your family... But I have a magnificent daughter now... I wouldn't change a thing if I went back in time," she told her.

     Kali smiled as they stopped in front of the door. "It feels like..."

     "Besides," Naomi interrupted. "Your brother is far from disgusting-looking... His voice still scares me, but I'll get used to it. And Kyoko can have two parents instead of one. Overall, it's a good thing..." She sounded like she was trying to convince herself.

     Kali took a deep breath to ease her nerves. "Kazuo is... He can be a little harsh sometimes, I know. But he's wanted this for so long that I'm sure he will share every ounce of his happiness with you in any way he can..."

     Naomi chuckled bitterly. "Right..." She said.

•••

     Naomi and Kazuo faced each other, both kneeling on the floor as the sake barrel was prepared. Kazuo was focused and calm as he grabbed the red sake cup. The groom looked at his bride, ensuring she was ready before sipping on the cup. He then handed it her way.

     Naomi stared at the red cup, her breath lightly shaking. She looked to her side, seeing Kenichi, Lady Shinoda, Kali, Yoru, and other people staring at her. Naomi felt herself get warm. She cleared her throat, swallowing her nerves. She slowly raised her hand to grab the cup, but she was shaking so much that she wondered if she could hold it. Her fingertips touched the cold cup before brushing against Kazuo's warm hand. She looked up at him, who was staring into her eyes, encouraging her. "It's ok," he mouthed, looking worried.

     Naomi nodded and held the cup confidently. She drank it all and heard the little audience clap.

•••

     The ceremony wasn't long, but drinking the three cups felt like an endless loop. They had exchanged wedding bands and a kiss that meant nothing. They walked together as the procession accompanied them. Naomi faked a few smiles until she couldn't anymore. There were so many people waving at them. She spotted a woman with her child, reminding her of Kyoko. Kazuo was smiling a little, stressed and happy about his upcoming ceremony. He looked at his bride, noticing the tear slowly coming down her face. "Naomi, please stop crying," he told her.