26•Not finish the job

Chapter 26
How could he not finish the job?

Yakuza Village, Tokyo
Courtroom

The YV's Courtroom was rarely used. Kenichi usually liked to handle his affairs in his office. On his right was Kazuo, and on his left was Yoru. A few consult members sat in the audience along with the curious Amaya. Kenichi had murderous thoughts. If he suddenly decided to kill Ian, he'd need somewhere spacious. The large room was much easier to clean, and Ian would feel the gravity of his actions better than in the office they joked in. Ken tried hard to understand Kazuo, but the latter refused to give any valid reason for Ian's protection. He had no choice but to punish. "Let Zenaku in..."

The large gates opened, and Zenaku appeared. He was disfigured and in a wheelchair, looking barely conscious. But he was—and he was furious. Maybe that was what kept him alive.

Ken closed his eyes, unable to see his brother like this. "Brother... I'll give you the justice you deserve," Ken spoke. "Let's set this up properly. I'd like to hear your version," his deep voice was loud and clear.

Zenaku coughed before he was taken to the end of the table. "My version is that Yu Barom intruded on my property and beat me up to death," he said in a weak yet angry voice.

Kenichi clicked his tongue, looking away. "Bring Yu Barom..." he ordered, constantly discreetly checking his phone under the desk.

•••

Outside the gates, Ian tried to help Kali calm down. Just hearing her uncle's voice made her want to throw up. "I'm here," he reassured her. "I guarantee he won't even look at you," he said.

Kali struggled to breathe. She inhaled loudly, nodding at Ian's words, "Yeah... Right..."

"Gates are opening," the guard warned.

     Ian nodded and pecked Kali's cheek before fixing his suit and patting the bandages under his clothes. "I'm ready."

He stepped into the room, standing tall. He only looked right in front of him, at Kenichi. He bowed politely, waiting to be allowed to sit. Ken had this indescribable look as he looked at the man he had just allowed to marry his precious daughter. He was confused and felt betrayed. Yet, somehow, he was calm. Zenaku glared at Ian, feeling afraid and humiliated. Ken noticed Kali by the gate and felt a rush of relief, seeing that she was alive and well. He was about to call her over when she discreetly entered the room. Kenichi cleared his throat before speaking loudly. "Let the trial begin."

•••

"There is no context that excuses what he did to me. None. I am the Prime Minister. I am your brother. I am Soma. Who is he?" Zenaku asked, struggling to speak due to his exhaustion and pain. "This punk cannot handle himself. Did I not hear that he also shot his brother today? Imagine what he could do to you, Ken." Zenaku aimed to get Ian out of the clan, if not dead. Kazuo tried his best to keep him alive. He tried to convince his father to end the alliance instead. So far, Kenichi agreed with his son because he knew his daughter would never forgive him.

Kazuo rolled his eyes, preventing himself from jumping on his uncle. He stood up, pointing at him. "That's unrelated, uncle."

"Is it?" Kenichi interrupted. "Sit down," he ordered. He looked over at Ian, who barely reacted to it all. "Yu Barom... Do you have anything to say?"

Ian stared into the void, simply listening to Zenaku's lies. He finally looked up at Kenichi. "Something to say? Let's see..." he started. "I have regrets..." he began. He looked at Zenaku, disdain in his face and voice. "I regret not finishing you off."