Chapter 81 Trial Of Greed

They went down that pathway. Jie half-expected to find a bunch of smaller 'swords' sticking up out of the snow. But instead, they stepped into a clearing with four large, red metal chests arrayed in a square pattern. Each of which was decorated with gold and precious gems. In the center of the clearing, and the group of four chests, was a pedestal with a swirling orb of what looked like blood. It shifted and morphed into the figure of a beautiful woman as they approached. The same woman as the statues depicted, only this one had long tendrils of blood coming out of her, like tentacles.

The aura the blood-woman gave off felt like it was on par with Elder Shi, though it felt... off somehow. Like it wasn't a whole awareness. It was still powerful enough to kill all of them instantly.

Bubbles of red energy sprang up around the chests like forcefields.

"Welcome to a trial of greed. Three of these four chests contain a treasure. Which do you choose?" said the blood woman. Though her words didn't match the movement of her lips.

"So... which do we choose? Ithilix?" Pan Tian asked.

"Their auras are obscured from this one. This one cannot sense which has the treasure," Ithilix said, "Maybe the princ-- Jie knows?"

"I have no idea," Jie said, "this is basically just gambling. I don't see the point."

"Well... which one do you think we should pick?" Pan Tian asked.

"I... don't have the greatest luck. I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to pick," Jie said.

"You're the strongest. And your luck can't be all that bad if you've advanced so much so fast and have an esteemed master teaching you. And Elder Shi too! Besides, if a monster pops out and tries to eat us, I think it should be all your fault this time," Pan Tian said.

"Thanks. You're such a good friend, Tian. Ugh... I guess... the top right one?" Jie said.

Nothing happened and her friends looked at her expectantly.

"The top right one. From my perspective," Jie said firmly.

The forcefield around the top right chest vanished and the lid sprang open. Cultivation resources that gave off a heady aroma burst out from it in such an amount that could never possibly fit inside even the large chest. They raced through the air and then went back inside the chest. It slammed shut and a forcefield formed around it again.

"Two of the four chests contain all that you have gained and weapons for the lower dantian. You may choose to leave with what you have gained or risk it in a gamble for more. Choose a chest," said the blood woman.

"I love this trial," Pan Tian said with a giggle, "I want to pick this time!"

"Wait," Jie said, "don't you think we should rather walk away with what we got? We risked nothing the first time and had a good chance to win... now our chances are lower and we risk all those resources."

"Well... yeah, but it's still fifty-fifty and who knows what we get the second time around?" Pan Tian asked.

"Okay," Jie said, "I'll leave it up to you. Just so you know it's all your fault if we lose everything."

"Oh, you!" Pan Tian said, "well that's fine. At least I'm not afraid to take a risk. I choose... the bottom right one."

The lid of the bottom right chest sprang open as the bubble surrounding it vanished and cultivation resources spilled out along with a collection of blood red weapons that gave off mysterious auras.

"See, Jie? That's why you take risks!" Pan Tian said with a delighted squeal as the treasures flew through the air, sparkling like stars... then flowed back into the chest which snapped shut and a bubble of energy covered it again.