Chapter 95

Finally, Jie came to a stop. The rivulets of sweat from the oppressive heat of the monster's attacks had frozen against her skin and she shivered from the cold. She spared a moment to inspect her back as best she could. The skin there was crispy and tender even after consuming multiple healing pills but it wasn't as bad as Jie had feared.

She let out a relieved sigh, happy simply to be alive, and consumed another healing pill.

That was too close... she thought as she sat behind a boulder, her tail coiled around her for warmth as she shivered. Jie's breath steamed in the air as she, at last, took a moment to recover from her ordeal.

Her meridians ached from cycling lightning step to the extent she had, but a smile spread across her face as she thought about the insight she'd gained with the skill.

Electrified afterimages should be interesting to use... she thought.

The Crimson Valley was dangerous and terrifying, but she was glad of the boost to her cultivation and fighting prowess... even if she still didn't know why she couldn't break through into the Elementalist rank...

She hadn't seen any sign of her friends, but then she'd been focused on trying not to die. Hopefully, they'd got out okay. She didn't want to head anywhere near the lake just yet, but perhaps it would be best if she did.

"--said it was this way," said a voice that Jie recognized as Chen Huo's.

Jie pulled her aura in tight and veiled it as best she could as she retreated more behind the boulder, using it and the surrounding snow to hide herself from sight.

Chen Huo and his group raced past the other side of the boulder, their words carrying far in the now-silent forest.

"What beast made these tracks?" asked Chen Ai.

"I don't know but keep an eye out. They look fresh. If we encounter it, we'll take its core as a trophy. But don't get distracted," Chen Huo said.

"Yes, brother," Chen Ai said.

They kept going and only when they were far away, did Jie come out from behind the boulder.

She wasn't entirely sure why. It felt absurd to hide from them when she was confident that she could've taken on all four of them at the same time, even shivering with cold as she was.

She frowned.

Maybe I should've roughed them up a bit first... but is that the kind of person I am? They'd certainly deserve it... ugh... I wish I could talk to Ming. He always knows what to say...

Thinking of him made her bones ache with how much she missed that arrogant snake... but she reminded herself that she would find a way to cure him and then they would have thousands of years. An eternity really, to talk about anything and everything.

She retraced her steps back to the lake. She didn't feel comfortable randomly assaulting people, even Chen Huo and Chen Ai who surely deserved it. But, she figured that if that monster was nearby, it might attack them and give her some warning. Besides, she needed to search the lake shore for her friends.

She moved quietly and kept her aura veiled so she didn't alert any other students or more importantly, any other monsters that wanted to eat her.

This Crimson Valley Treasure Hunt is intense... Jie thought.

***

She made it to the lake shore but stayed a good distance away from the lake itself and began circling around. She didn't use lightning step, and instead focused on cultivating as she walked to replenish her qi. It wasn't as fast as when she gave it her full attention, but it was something. Her back was healed now, thanks to the pills she'd consumed. Yet, despite that, the ghost of a feeling remained, reminding her how close to death she'd come.