Eleven

For the past month, things have been going well in your kingdom, and your son is healthy and happy, as are your people.

What else could a ruler ask for? If the people are happy and the things are going well, then it's a blessing, is it not?

Today, you have decided to hear some problems of your people and try to solve them in the best way so no one is wronged.

However, today's problem is amusing, as a young couple came to have you solve it for them once and for all.

You are, seated upon your throne, watching intently as the young couple approached.

The hall was bustling with the hum of activity, and the air was thick with the scent of incense and the whispers of the gathered crowd.

Your eyes scanned the pair before him, taking in the nervousness etched on their faces.

"Come forth, my subjects," you call out, your voice resonating through the chamber.

"Tell me of this problem that has brought you here today."

The young man, a blacksmith by trade, stepped forward, his voice trembling.

"Your Majesty, my wife and I have been married for two years now. We have no quarrels, no disagreements, and yet she insists that we must solve this problem."

The woman, a soft-spoken housewife, took a deep breath before speaking.

"Your Majesty, the issue is this: we cannot decide on a name for our unborn child, we both have our preferences, but we cannot agree on one."

The laugh is held in your throat, feeling happiness at the silly problem you received today.

What an easy start.

You pause to consider the situation, your mind racing through possible solutions.

"How about this? Combine both your preferred names to create a new, unique name; this way, both of your choices are honored. 

The couple looked at each other, surprised by your suggestion. The blacksmith spoke up, his voice filled with excitement.

"Yes, Your Majesty, that seems like a fair compromise. We can honor both of our preferences in a new name for our child."

You smile, feeling satisfied with the solution you provided.

It was a small problem, but it was an honor to be able to ease the minds of your people.

Suddenly one of your handmaidens rushes into the throne room, screaming.

"Your highness!"

Her hesterical screams frightened everyone including yourself.

"What is it, speak up, woman" one of the guards orders.

"Her majesty's son, Narmer, has been murdered, a dagger was found in his chest"

The world around you seemed to freeze as the handmaiden's words echoed in the air.

Your heart sank at the realization, your mouth running dry, your son, your flesh and blood, that you have carried in you for nine months, had been killed.

The room fell into a deafening silence, the only sound being the heavy breaths of shock from your subjects.

You felt a wave of nausea wash over you, your hands clenching the edges of the throne as you tried to gather your thoughts.

"I-I have to see him...he can't be dead."

The handmaidens and guards around you exchanged worried glances, uncertain of how to proceed.

No, you refuse to believe that your only child is dead.

But the question is if he is dead, will stay silent?

Or will you turn to the Gods to have him brought back?