Chapter 30

A/N: this is kinda messy but I have no motivation so enjoy.
Our pookie is 26 now guys I am not okay.

The next few days I continued thinking about that prophecy, considering all the possibilities. It could be about me but I am not a Myrmidon, not by blood. The term refers to the ants once Zeus turned into humans and their descendants. And it couldn't possibly be about Patroclus either, since he is from Opus. The more thought I put into it, the more confusing it got and so I chose to ignore it all together. It must be nonsense, some pointless hallucination.
*
One day on the ninth year of the war a girl mounted the dais. She was bruised and terrified, my heart ached for her -as it did for every girl before her- We were informed she was a priest's daughter, which I guess made her situation even worse. She probably was of the belief that the gods would protect her but they didn't. I and Patroclus urged Achilles to claim her but Agamemnon did before he could even try. There was nothing we could do about that of course but it still was awful, knowing that she most likely won't have a good time in his tent.
In less than a month her father came to our camp, dressed as it is fit for a priest. He begged Agamemnon as beggars do, to have his daughter returned to him. But even though he knew that in itself should be enough -as he would be protected by the gods- he brought gold and jewels with him as a form of ransom. It seemed he was that desperate. I silently prayed that he would be successful and I honestly thought he would be. The king of Mycenae is a vile man but I wouldn't think he would be foolish enough to disrespect the gods, the man wasn't just a beggar he was a high priest of Apollo. And to refuse such great treasures would be utterly stupid. It was more than any of us earned in one year of war.
Surprisingly, not only did he refuse to fulfill Chryses's request but insulted him cruelly,
even threatening to take his life if he showed up again requesting that. We all knew he was a dreadful man but we were utterly stunned once we realized he seemed to not realize the cruel consequences that his offensive behavior might have. Only one thing was certain: the gods would let this remain unpunished.
The very next day it seemed a plague was spreading. The cattle animals we had gotten from raids started getting infected one by one. We and a few others burned as many as possible we could but unfortunately it wasn't enough. We woke up the next day to soldiers dying all around, horrific symptoms that couldn't be cured in any way. There was no saving them, they were massively burned in pyres. What was suspicious thought was that it didn't effect us royals or any of the women. It was obviously a sign, a curse, sent by the gods, a punishment for Agamemnon's doing. And what greater punishment than to have the innocent die, the ones that didn't actively participate in the causing of this war. It could be no one else but the god that priest served, the one who amongst other things, is also the god of medicine.
And it was confirmed that this was of divine origin, after I and my brother talked with our mother.
This continued for ten whole days, men dying and buried as if they were dogs. Until my brother decided to take action. We went to the agora, he was determined to address the matter of the plague, Agamemnon throughout this whole mess just spent his time locked up in his tent, not caring for even his own soldiers dropping dead. Perhaps it wasn't wise to challenge his authority but we couldn't just stand there doing nothing. Achilles suggested that it would be best to consult Calchas in order for the matter to be resolved. As a priest he would surely know what or who led to this.
He was afraid to speak at first, obviously fearing the reaction that the man who caused all of this might have, but after Achilles promised to protect him against a potential threat, he agreed to reveal what he knew.
Calchas cleared his throat. “The auguries have shown that it is the god Apollo who is angry.” Apollo. The name went through the host like wind in summer wheat.

Calchas’ eyes flickered to Agamemnon, then back to Achilles. He swallowed. “He is offended, it seems, so the omens say, at the treatment of his dedicated servant. Chryses.”