Chapter 22

Hailey calls Aiden by video as she says, "hey Aiden," Aiden says, "hey, what's up?." Cameron says, "we are trying to figure out what we should cook for Isabella's surprise dinner." Hailey says, "we have no idea what to make." Cameron says, "we don't even know what her favourite food is." Hailey says, "or if she even has one." Aiden thinks for a moment remembering a memory from when they were kids as he says, "I remember when we were kids that taco was her favourite food, I am not sure if this is still her favourite though, it might have changed." Cameron says, "perhaps she upgraded to rice, it's still in the taco family." Hailey looks at her brother saying, "that does not even make sense." Cameron turns to Hailey saying, "at least I am helping." They both begin to bicker as Aiden laughs saying, "we could just make some home-made pizza, I am sure she will like whatever we cook for her." Hailey says, "ok, so we will prepare some pizza and taco." Cameron says, "it will be delicious!." Hailey says, "we should meet at the grocery store so we can buy everything we will need." Aiden says, "sounds like a plan." Cameron says, "don't forget your grocery bags, we don't want to pay for unnecessary items especially with this economy inflation." Aiden says, "I won't." Cameron and Hailey both say bye before ending the call just as Isabella comes in asking, "was that Aiden?." 

Cameron says, "no, you are just imagining things." Hailey says, "perhaps it is time for you to get new glasses." Isabella says confused, "why are you being weird? I do not even wear glasses." Cameron says, "we've got to go." Hailey says, "see you later, girl." They both leave as the next Isabella's birthday arrives as she spends the day with Truffles before heading to work; soon after the evening Hailey comes outside saying, "stop right there." Isabella was surprised to see Hailey asking, "what are you doing here? and why do you look so fancy?." Hailey takes Isabella's hand as they head back into her apartment as she answers, "go change into one of the dresses I brought for you." Isabella was confused asking, "why would I get change into a dress just to grab food from the kitchen?." Hailey replies, "don't ask questions, just go change." Isabella sighs before heading into the bathroom to freshen up and comes into her room to see three dresses on the bed. She says,"red dress, black mini dress or purple rose and white dress." She tries them all on before selecting the red dress as she does her hair and makeup as she comes out Hailey blindfolds her as they come down and they head into the car. Isabella asks, "Hails, why have you blindfolded me?!." They soon come out as Hailey takes Isabella's hand into the restaurant and brings her in as everything goes quiet. Isabella removes the blindfold as she sees Cameron, Aiden and Hailey looking at her with a smile before saying, "Surprise!." Cameron says, "you thought that we forgot your birthday." Hailey says, "you know that will never happen." 

Aiden says, "we could never forget your birthday, Isa." Isabella becomes emotional and begins to cry as Aiden says,"please don't cry." Hailey says, "yeah, you will spoil your makeup, girl."  Isabella says, "these are tears of joy." She comes over to them and embraces them warmly before soon sitting down. Isabella thought, 'I've never made a big deal about my birthday but with friends like mine, how could I not celebrate right now.' Cameron, Aiden, and Hailey made Isabella feel special on a day which she always felt was not important. Aiden says, "let's enjoy the food." Isabella took a bite of the taco as she smiled saying, "yummy!." Aiden says, "is it really that good?!." As he was about to take a bite Isabella tried to stop him as Aiden's face went red as he grabbed the glass of fresh juice saying, "this is too damn spicy!." Cameron takes a bite before turning to Hailey saying, "we might have mixed the chilli and salsa sauces." Hailey rolls her eyes before heading out and soon coming back with a birthday cake saying, "I knew you two were going to do something bad." Isabella got up as she blew out the candles with her friends singing happy birthday. A few weeks later Isabella was back to college trying to focus on her exams, but she couldn't focus as her mind was thinking of Aiden. Isabella thought,'I know I said to Aiden we should take things slow but now I feel like I am ready for something more than friendship, I think I am ready to make things official with Addie.' She finishes her class as she comes out to see Aiden in the corridor as she takes a deep breath and walks over to him.