•𝚃𝙷𝙸𝚁𝚃𝚈-𝙴𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚃•

May 6, 2024

Spiritual Realm

Baron Samedi sat in a dimly lit room, surrounded by flickering candles that cast eerie shadows on the walls. He held one of Maera's diaries in his hands, the worn leather cover soft under his fingers. He flipped through the pages, his eyes scanning the neat, elegant handwriting. He stopped occasionally to rub his chin thoughtfully, his mind lost in the memories and secrets contained within the pages.

The door creaked open, and Maman Brigitte entered, her presence commanding and filled with an intense, quiet fury. Her eyes fell on the diary in Samedi's hands, and she crossed her arms over her chest.

"I hope it was worth it," she said coldly, "making your own extra family outside the one we had for a mortal witch woman." She lastly adds in embarrassment, "The rest of the other loas laugh at us! We were supposed to set an example on true and eternal love even in death!"

Baron Samedi sighed heavily and closed the diary. "My love, I'm sorry—"

Brigitte moved away from him, her face twisted with hurt and anger. "The affair, I let pass, but you impregnated her? Was it on purpose? What did I ever do wrong to you?"

Samedi's shoulders slumped. "It's not like that, my dear wife. I just needed a damn break from this same lifestyle. Sometimes, I would go down as a regular man to the mortal realm. Meeting her was unexpected. There was just something about her."

Brigitte's eyes blazed with indignation. "Stop. Just stop. Wanting a break I can understand, but let that not justify your reason for infidelity. I will not allow it."

She shook her head and rolled her eyes. "I won't let you hurt them. So whatever you may try to do to wipe out her bloodline, you will answer to me. Do you hear me? You take your wrath out on me, not them. None of this is their fault."

Samedi looked at her, his expression pained. Brigitte's voice softened slightly, but the hurt was still evident. "Do you love her?"

He paused, the silence between them stretching uncomfortably. Brigitte's face hardened, and she took a step back. "I knew it! We need to settle this with Erzulie Fréda! You and I are soulmates!"

Baron Samedi sighed deeply, rubbing his temples. "I don't even know about that anymore, Brigitte. You... you've changed. You're not the same woman I met. I don't know, but you aren't... I used to love you, I was once in love with you, despite the marriage arrangement that was destined for us since birth to have us both king and queen of the damn dead..."

Brigitte's face fell, and she nodded slowly. "I wish I knew you were going to do this to me about three sons ago." She turned and walked away, leaving Samedi alone with his thoughts and regrets.

Meanwhile

In a quiet, secluded room, Asmira sat with her daughter Yuna, who was resting on a soft, cushioned bed. Asmira hugged Yuna tightly, her eyes filled with pride and love.

"I'm so proud of you, Yuna. And so happy. I'm going to be a grandmother!" Asmira said, her voice filled with joy. "Who's the lucky guy?"

Yuna's laughter faded as she sighed, her expression becoming troubled. "Um, well..."

Asmira's smile faltered. "What's wrong?"

Yuna sighed deeply. "How can I explain it...?"

"You weren't raped, were you?" Asmira asked, her voice filled with concern.

Yuna quickly shook her head. "No! It's not that at all, mom... It's just that ...he doesn't know yet... But there's more, ...it's complicated..."