Chapter 7: Like a moth searches for the light

A few months have passed, since the discussion that led to the agreement between you and the team principal, and you are working in the garage; the roar of engines and the clanging of tools fills the air of the room, while all the crew is working with passion and dedication.

Since you and your boss had agreed to stop provoking each other, the atmosphere has significantly improved: you work side by side with the other mechanics and engineers and finally your place within the team is undeniable, because you are no longer just the newcomer who had something to prove; now you are a cornerstone, a figure of reference for those seeking advice and solutions, thank your exceptional skills.

While you are supervising a mechanic tightening a bolt, you have the feeling of being watched: you noticed that Toto is looking at you, with a mix of admiration and challenge in his eyes; you thought that perhaps he has finally recognized your worth, that's why it sting when he asks you, yet again, to come to his office.

Pretending not hearing your boss' callings, you start walking through the garage, weaving past mechanics and stacks of tires; Toto's voice grow more insistent but you ignore it, determined to not give in.

But he doesn't give up and continues to call your name, his tone shifting from annoyance to frustration.

Feeling harassed, you quick your pace, hoping he would eventually relent; as you neared the exit of the garage, you glance back and see Toto walking through the crowd, with his eyes locked on you.

You change your walk into a jog and finally a run as you headed towards the pit lane, with your heart pounding in your chest from the annoyance of being chased, but everything is useless.

Toto is relentless: he picks up his pace, matching your speed, and his footsteps are echoing behind you.

Determined to get away, you sprinted but your breath coming in short gasps.

The chase continue onto the track itself: your legs burn and your lungs scream for air but you push on, refusing to let him catch you, but few meters foward, out of breath, you have to stop, bent over with your hands on your knees gasping for air.

Toto reaches you moments later, equally winded but with a look of determination on his face; he stays in silence for a moment, catching his breath, before finally speaking.

"You won I see" he says, pointing out that you were standing at the finish line.

"What do you want from me?"

"Nothing, just complimenting you on your work. You've quickly become essential to the team! I don't know what made you run away like that..."

He doesn't understand the situation but you know it exately... You like him like a lot... Very, very much... You feel like dying from the fact that he finally seems to have managed to forget you... You are very happy not to have ruined his family but at the same time you have your heart broken.

"I thought the photo of the employee of the month in the garage was enough for these things" you say, trying to joke to tone down the shocking situation you've put yourself in.

Smiling, he extends his hand to congratulate you but, as soon as you took it, he pulls you close to him, holding you tightly against him; it don't even cross your mind to resist, so you decide to melt into his chest and his embrace.

"It's damn hard for me to remember our deal but i think that i am quite good respecting it. Every time I come home I would like to see you lying on the sofa surfing the TV or in bed waiting for me in a sexy outfit..." he says.

Oh no, he hasn't forgotten you... But, as a good engineer, you always have a plan B, which you decide to expose exactly now to Toto.