Chapter 12: Italian gran prix

It your first race weekend as Lando's race engineer.

The sun shines high in the blue sky while you are adjusting the last things prepared, the atmosphere in the paddock is electric and full of expectations; you had spent days studying every detail of the circuit, analyzing datas and planning strategies, you want to be ready for any eventuality.

Lando is full focused, his gaze fixed on the track as he fastened his helmet.

"We're ready, buddy. Let's do this!" you say through the radio.

He nod and a determined smile appears on his face.

-

The start was intense.

Lewis Hamilton started from an advantageous position and kept the lead but Lando was not far behind; he skillfully navigated the curves, maintaining a relentless pace, and each lap was a challenge but also an opportunity.

When he reached the crucial moment of the race, you knew that you had to take a calculated risk.

"Lando, we need to pit early. It will give us the advantage we need" you said through the radio.

He didn't hesitate.

"Got it, let's go for it!"

The plan worked: Lando returned to the track with fresh tires and began to gain ground on Lewis. Lap after lap, the gap narrowed; Lando drove with incredible precision, seizing every opportunity to get closer.

At the penultimate corner of the last lap, Lando was just a few meters behind Lewis; with a bold and perfectly executed overtake, he managed to pass him.

The crowd erupted in cheers.

"You're third, Lando! That was an incredible overtake!" you shout over the radio, with trembling voice.

Through it, you hear first Lando's heavy breathing and then his triumphant laughter.

"We did it! Thanks for believing in me" he replied.

-

The podium is yours!

Seeing the smile on your driver's face is an unforgettable moment; you had worked hard, taken risks and won. That race surely marked the beginning of a great adventure and a collaboration, that promised great successes for the future; but that day will always remain etched in your memory also as the day when, together with Lando, you managed to steal the podium from a legend like Lewis Hamilton.

As always Max has crossed the finish line first, securing another victory for Red Bull Racing, and, as per tradition, the Dutch national anthem resounds powerfully through the circuit's speakers.

In the McLaren crew, however, the excitement is palpable; despite Verstappen's dominance, Lando Norris has achieved an impressive third place. The team, proud of the result, starts chanting in unison <Lando, Lando, Lando!> and their voices rise above the solemn melody of the anthem, creating an atmosphere of celebration and rivalry.

Amidst the festivities, you feel guilty because you recognize Max's extraordinary talent and believe that the podium moment should be respected; you decide to intervene, trying to silence your colleagues with gentle but firm gestures and words.

"Guys, it's Max's moment. Let's respect his anthem" you say but the voices around you are too enthusiastic to be easily quieted.

You don't give up and continue trying to restore silence and, slowly, your efforts start to bear fruit: some team members look at you with understanding and lower their voices, though not everyone stops; it's a small victory but significant.

While you're still trying to calm the last chants, you don't notice that someone is watching you intently; Toto Wolff, who is standing not far from you, notices, with his penetrating gaze, your efforts to maintain respect during the celebrations and admires your dedication and sense of sportsmanship. In his mind, this is a rare and valuable quality in the racing world, where competition often overshadows mutual respect.