Odd One Out.

Maya~

Tying the last balloon, I let it fall with the rest of them as they sat on the floor. My fingers are raw.

I watch Amalia and the rest of the kids play in the middle of the clubhouse. Her laughs make me smile. They run through the balloons, kicking them in every direction possible.

The wives got together and planned a surprise welcoming to spring training. Not for the new or young guys. More for the leadership role being taken by Pat Murphy and moving on from past leaders. It's for everyone.

We wanted to get everyone excited about this year and let it be known that we believe in the guys and we're proud of them. So a few decorations later, we've decorated the entire clubhouse.

The kids helped for a bit before they got bored and started to play with each other. I stand on Christian's chair to finish his cubby. We've had a few of the wives on watch from both entrances of the clubhouse too.

I move the gold streamers to untangle them. "Mama," I hear from behind me.

I look down at Amalia. "Hi, baby."

I get off of his chair and bring her to my lap. "Are you hungry?"

She shakes her head and lays back on me. She's pretty tired. I find the baby wrap in my things and put that on. I get her situated against me, "Are you comfortable?"

"Yes," she tells me quietly.

It's not long until she falls asleep on me. "They're heading in soon," I hear from the dugout doors.

I walk around to keep her asleep. I stand by his cubby as they start to walk in. Most are surprised but some are confused. Christian walks up to me, "You guys are crazy."

I shrug, "A little."

He kisses me. He puts his arm around me, "New opportunities."

I put my hand on his back, "I'm proud of you."

"Thank you."

Christian hands me the pan he just washed for me to dry. I stack the dry pans and put our pots and pans in the cupboard. I finish drying and putting away the rest of the dishes.

We both hear her from her room. He brushes his hand against my back, "I'll get her."

I wipe down the island before going into the freezer. I take the half-eaten Culver's pint out and toss the lid in the garbage. I take my ice cream and spoon to the couch and wait for him to get back.

Soon he comes back and sits next to me. He takes my spoon from me once in a while. We watch my phone start to ring. As confused as I am to be getting a call from my dad this late, I answer it immediately.

I set my ice cream on the coffee table, "Hi, what's up?"

"Sorry, I know it's late. I wanted to let you know that Brandon and Ash got into an accident near Milwaukee."

My chest starts to feel heavy as I hear those words, "What?"

"I didn't want you to find out through Facebook or have Bridget tell you. They went into Froedtert. We're on our way down right now. It doesn't sound too bad but we're not sure right now."

"Where's Ella?"

"With us. She's fine."

"What were they doing in Milwaukee?"

"You know how Brandon got Ash that job? Well, she really likes it and she's doing so well at it. There was a conference held at the Fiserv this week so they both went. They were on their way home and a guy cut them off. It sounds like they're okay and it wasn't too bad but they were taken to Froedtert."