Christmas Tree Farm

It's been three weeks now since I've been off tour, and the Christmas season is coming. I'm so excited; it's my favorite time of the year. I love decorating the house, baking cookies, and preparing gifts. I haven't found one for Will yet, so I make a mental note to do so.

I wake up early; the sun hasn't risen yet. I love waking up early to enjoy the silence. I take the hand wrapped around my body and play with his fingers. We spend almost every night together. We have a lot of sex, but I really enjoy when we just talk and fall asleep against each other. I love when he runs his hands through my hair or hugs me so tightly that I can't breathe, but I don't want him to let go. I think I'm falling for him.

I turn around to face him, running my hand through his hair, and begin singing a melody very softly. I gently move his hand from around my waist and quietly go to the living room. I plan to decorate the living room and bake cookies before he gets up. I'll make hot chocolate too. He told me he never really celebrated Christmas before, so I want it to be perfect.

I take out the decorations and put them all around the house—tinsel on the staircase, snow globes on shelves, and peppermint candy cane candles. The house transforms into a magical Christmas wonderland.

I get the ingredients ready for the cookies. I plan to make three different kinds, my favorites from when I was a child. He can taste all of them and decide which is his favorite. I'm pouring flour into the last bowl when hands wrap around my waist, pulling me closer. I jump, almost throwing flour everywhere.

"Hey, Princess, what are you making?"

"Cookies. Here are the Christmas tree ones with a white chocolate coating, there are chocolate crinkle cookies, and right now, I'm making peanut butter blossoms."

"That's a lot," he says, backing up. "I also saw you did an awesome job decorating the whole house."

"Thank you," I say, turning around. He's looking down, a little sad. "What's going on?" I ask.

"Nothing, it's just a little overwhelming."

"Oh, I'm sorry. It might be a lot considering you've never celebrated Christmas before. I can take it all down if you want."

"No, please don't. I love it. I really want to experience Christmas like you used to. It looks super fun. Maybe I could buy a Christmas tree and we could decorate it together?" he asks shyly.

"What a great idea," I say, standing on my tiptoes to gently kiss his lips.

He returns with the biggest tree, and I get so excited I almost let the cookies burn. We spend the day decorating the tree, baking, eating, and talking about Christmas. I tell him how much I love this season because it's my birthday, but also because I can bake, give gifts, and spend time with people I love. I just love the atmosphere.

We're making popcorn strings while watching Just Friends, a movie starring my best friend Ryan Reynolds. I'm humming the same melody I've been humming all day when he turns to me.

"What's going to happen?"

"About what? Do you want me to spoil it for you? You just said you didn't want me to spoil it," I laugh.

"No, I mean about us. When you go back on tour, what are we going to do? Are we going to sneak around and worry if someone sees us?"

"I don't know. I guess I never really thought about it. I suppose we'll figure it out," I reply.

I have thought about going back on tour. I just secretly hope we'll never leave the apartment and stay here happily ever after. He realizes this conversation has made me anxious from the way I'm playing with my fingers. He takes my hands in his and pulls me closer. I lay my head on his shoulder as he puts an arm around me and kisses my forehead.

"What's that song you've been singing since this morning?" he asks, changing the conversation as the atmosphere gets heavier.

"Oh, I don't know. I woke up, and I couldn't stop singing it. I guess it's a new song," I laugh.

"Would you sing it for me?"

"Sure," I say, standing up and sitting in front of the piano. I take a few minutes to find the chords and melody and begin to sing.

"My winter nights are taken up by static
Stress and holiday shopping traffic
...
Watching the fire glow
And telling me 'I love you'
Just being in your arms
Takes me to that little farm"

I blush at those lyrics. I stop and look back at him.

"I haven't finished it yet, but I really like it. What do you think?"

He stands up smiling and comes behind me, hugging me. He puts his head on top of mine and says,

"I love it. You should make Christmas songs more often," he laughs.

As I think he's leaving, he puts his head near my ear and whispers,

"I love you too."

He then manages to kiss me on the cheek.

We spend the rest of the evening watching Christmas movies and cuddling.