The bolter

I get out of the bathroom after a few minutes, giving myself time to calm down and splash water on my face so nobody would notice my red eyes from crying. I'm still a bit shaky, but once I see Will and Tree, I focus on my body to avoid drawing attention. They're looking at me with concern, and I try to smile to erase their worry, but I don't think I fooled them.

"Hey, honey, you okay?" Tree asks.

"Yeah, yeah... uhm, I was in the bathroom. Sorry, I hope you didn't wait for me too long," I lie.

"What took you so long?" Will asks, still worried.

"Oh, I was playing on my phone and couldn't reach the next level. Sorry," I blush, ashamed of my lies.

"Luckily, you came back because this man was ready to come get you if you didn't return in the next minute," Tree laughs. I laugh nervously, feeling my cheeks flush.

On the way back, everything feels silent. The usual noise from the street doesn't even bother me like it used to. There are so many cars, yet the sound is muted, like when I'm underwater. Neither Will, Tree, nor I speak in the car. I just stare out the window, avoiding Will's gaze. I think he knows something is wrong, but I'm glad he doesn't ask any questions. I'm also glad Tree is too focused on her phone to notice anything.

The car parks in front of my hotel. It takes me a few minutes to get out, feeling like my body is a heavy rock that can't be moved. I tried so hard not to shake during the ride, and I managed until I reached my room. Once Tree leaves, I let my whole body tremble. My breathing gets heavy again, but this time it's easier to control.

The door behind me opens, but I don't bother looking. It's Will coming from his room.

"Hey, princess, what's going on? What happened in the bathroom? You stayed there for at least 20 minutes."

I believe he can't see my face since he's behind me, so I take advantage and wipe my face, covering any traces of the state I'm in.

"Oh, nothing. I told you I was on my phone. But I have a slight headache right now. I'd like to lie down in my room alone," I reply as if nothing is wrong.

"Come on, I know. What the journalist asked you touched you. I know you, and I know it hurt you. It's fine. I know Joe was a very important person in your life—you stayed together for six years."

I don't quite get why he's bringing up Joe. I'm really more upset about Matty. I loved Joe, but we fell out of love, and that's fine. We had our time. But Matty... he was the one I turned to when I had issues. He understood me, and I understood him like no one else ever could.

"I wasn't disturbed by that. It's okay, I don't care about the journalist's questions. I already told you I'm fine. Now, I'd like to rest," I shoot back.

"No, I'd like to talk about this. You don't seem fine. You may fool others, but not me. I know you, Princess."

"Stop calling me Princess, okay?" I yell, while he keeps his calm.

"What's wrong? Why won't you just admit it? It's okay, I love you. We can work this out together," he replies calmly, while I'm losing it. It reminds me too much of how Joe used to stay calm during our worst arguments.

"No, I'm not going to admit that I miss Joe or whatever you think I feel because it's not true. I don't feel anything for him anymore, okay? So could you please leave?" I say without realizing I'm yelling.

"So what, you miss Matty? The guy you stayed with for like a month and who dumped you? Is that the one you miss?" He replies, more angrily.

"He didn't dump me, first of all. He was struggling, okay? And yes, I miss him sometimes," I argue back.

"So what, you miss him like you wanna go back to him?"

"Well, why not? He texted me recently, and..." He did text me three weeks ago, which is why I'm thinking of him, but I didn't reply. I didn't want to hurt Will, and I actually didn't feel the need to reply.

"And what? Are you telling me that you're talking with him? Are you serious? I know you don't really like the fact that we have to hide our relationship, but neither do I. I already told you I need this job. I'm sorry I can't give you what you want, but it's not fair for you to talk to another guy while you're with me," he says. I can feel the pain in his voice, but I can't help myself and reply.

"Well, it's not fair to have to hide again. It's just like it was with Joe. And if you really wanted people to know about whatever we have, you would've told them despite Tree. You know she wouldn't have fired you—I'm the boss, I decide. But you didn't."

I can't control myself or what I say, and I immediately regret my words. Will is so different from Joe, and I know he doesn't want to put me in a position to tell Tree and deal with all the media. Plus, he also has to help his brother. I just wish he'd tell me more about what's going on with his brother. But for whatever reason, I say:

"Maybe we shouldn't be together. Too many secrets and untold things."

What did I just say?

"Don't you dare bolt like that, Taylor. You know that I love you, and maybe we can't tell the world right now, but I promise we will soon. I'll work on it, but it's just not safe right now. Honey, please."

He comes for a hug, but I refuse it. I can see his eyes watering, but he quickly wipes them with his sleeve and replies, with no anger, just sadness as he gives up.

"Is that really what you want?"

I can't look at him. I can't answer. I'm too confused about what just happened, about what I just said.

As I'm about to answer, I look up, but he's not there anymore. I'm just alone in the suite of the hotel. The room has never felt this small, so empty and quiet. I just did it again.

----

Hi guys I am going to try to post every 2 days but I cant promise anything. Tell me if you would like longer chapter or if it's the right fit. I open to any comments you have about the story and please if you have tips I here for it :)