Archangel

Azrael marched to Eloheem's private chambers, banging on the door, he waited for him to answer. Roman had pushed him away tonight, and he needed answers. He would not lose her to Phoenix nor to his darkness. If Phoenix managed to trap Roman in Sheol, Azrael would lose her forever. A thought that plagued him since the ally. He had not allowed himself the time to think earlier tonight, but now the panic rose as he thought about what he could have lost. Eloheem opened his door, not at all surprised to see Azrael standing before him. Azrael spoke urgently, "I need answers, Eloheem. Roman is in danger, and I fear Phoenix has an advantage I do not possess. He knows things about her that I have yet to uncover". Eloheem looked solemnly at Azrael and asked, "She has discovered your true nature, then?". Before Azrael could answer, he continued, "I felt the shift. Her veil has been lifted. Come Azrael, there is much you should know if you are to protect your mate, as I could not". Stepping aside, Eloheem allowed Azrael entrance, gesturing toward a sitting area to the right. Oversized beige leather chairs sat in a semi-circle surrounding a lit fire. A low table sat before them, holding what Azrael assumed to be a decanter. He sat in a chair and watched Eloheem take the seat across from him. Eloheem began to speak, "Phoenix's desire for Roman is dangerous and an obsession that started long before Roman was born." Azrael shook his head in confusion, "Why has Phoenix only now made contact with her, then?" he asked.

"Kore was beautiful and loved art, much like Roman. Their similarities are striking, perhaps the reason Phoenix first noticed Roman. Now, however, I fear he has aimed to repeat the past and succeed where he once failed," Eloheem quietly said. Azrael noted the saddened, distant look in Eloheem's eyes as if he was recalling painful memories. Azrael again shook his head; he didn't know who Kore was but remembered what Gemory had said, "Do you know Gemory, Roman's mother? She spoke of Roman's father tonight in the ally but did not mention his name." Eloheem now scoffed, "Gemory may be Roman's mother biologically, but she never once showed the child an ounce of affection. Kore was born to be a mother, and though never blessed with children, she loved Roman as her own". Forgetting his original question, Azrael asked, "Who is Kore, Eloheem?". Eloheem looked to the fire now, not answering his question immediately. With a heavy sigh, he responded, "She was my mate." Azrael stood now, pacing before the fire. "How is it possible I know nothing of your mate? I have been by your side for centuries. None of this makes any sense, Eloheem. If you knew Roman as a child, you must know the angel who fathered her," he asked, losing his patience. Roman was in danger, and Azrael needed answers, not more questions.

"Tonight, Phoenix sent Isda as a distraction so he could take Roman. I had no other choice but to reveal myself, or else I risked losing her forever. Phoenix needed to see my mate mark on her. Even he wouldn't go against the mate laws, especially one bound to an Archangel". Eloheem stood now, walking toward him; he spoke harshly, "Phoenix abides by no laws but his own will and desires. He will not question whether Roman is mated or protected by all of Shamayim. He will come for her, as he did Kore, but this time Roman will survive. We will protect her". Azrael's head snapped toward Eloheem's, "Phoenix killed your mate?" a cold dread filled Azrael; how could he protect Roman when Eloheem couldn't, the almighty himself? Reading Azrael's expression, Eloheem said, "We will not allow him to take Roman. His deceit and tricks will not work this time. There are forces far greater at play now, but you still have much to learn before we can save her". Placing his arm on Azrael's shoulder, he began to speak again when a knock sounded.

Zadkiel stood on the other side of the door, urgently speaking with Eloheem. Azrael tried to listen, but his thoughts were with Roman and what little he had learned. What was Kore's relation to Roman? And how hadn't he heard any mention of Kore until now? Perhaps she and Eloheem had been mated far before Azrael was cursed. No, that couldn't have been right either. Eloheem had said Kore loved Roman as her child. The more Azrael thought, the more questions he had. He was missing something, as though his memories were not all present. What pain Eloheem must feel knowing his mate was gone while Phoenix still lived. His thoughts interrupted, Eloheem said, "I must go. We will finish this conversation when I return". Azrael watched Eloheem leave. Turning back to the fire, he observed the orange and blue flames dance above the logs. He couldn't stay here and wait for Eloheem. He needed to return to Winica and talk with Roman.

Before leaving Shamayim, Azrael stopped at the large tree in the throne room. So many souls had been added since he last gazed upon the open book. What would Roman honestly think of him if he told her what he was responsible for or how his curse came to pass? He felt a familiar presence beside him and turned to see Zadkiel gazing up at the leaves. Like himself, Zadkiel was one of Eloheem's Archangels, the Angel of Mercy. All 12 were cursed to serve the Mighty One, never getting a chance to ease their souls. But Azrael was thankful to be by Eloheem's side and had long forgotten his human life. Now, his brothers and sisters were the twelve. Each responsible for carrying souls, but marked by the weight of their own curse. Azrael had been with Eloheem the longest, thus falling into the role of leader to the Archangels.

Zadkiel spoke, "The souls in the underworld talk, and there is unrest in Sheol, Azrael. Phoenix grows impatient and volatile. Whatever war you are waging with him, please make sure it is worth it". Of course, Zadkiel had no idea Roman was his mate. Azrael had told no one of his dreams nor about the girl, but for Eloheem. Remaining silent, Zadkiel continued, "We do not fault you for Isda or what happened, but this girl..." "Roman is nothing like Isda; do not compare the two," Azrael spoke sharply. Zadkiel sighed heavily, finally turning from the tree to face Azrael, "We will stand with you, as always, brother."