Separated Mates

Eloheem entered his chambers, finding Kore staring out the window, observing the other spirits and angels. They always met in private, though it pained him to do so. Kore had once been full of life, happy to spend hours in her gardens. Now, she was just a fraction of who she used to be. A soul trapped between realms. Studying her, Eloheem recalled all the memories they had made together and the life they could have had before she was stolen away from him. Looking up from the couple she had been watching, Kore spoke, "Phoenix grows impatient to have the girl." "Azrael still doesn't know who she is?" Eloheem asked. "No. He grows closer to her but does not yet realize they have once before met," Kore responded.

"We've done a good job of hiding her lineage and kept her far away from her mother, but Phoenix's interest in the girl will be our undoing. And ultimately, Roman's death. She cannot meet the same fate I did, Eloheem. We must find a way to stop him." Eloheem watched as Kore flickered around the room, hurriedly speaking and visibly worried. If he was being honest, he, too, was concerned. Azrael's dreams grew more vivid, and he was spending more time with Roman. The truth would come out sooner rather than later, and a war would start when it did—Shamayim versus Sheol, good versus evil. Eloheem and Kore had spent centuries protecting the girl and hiding her identity. Azrael and Roman's mating bond was breaking what little hold they had, and Phoenix's obsessive want with Roman was to be the catalyst. He would not see Roman in the hands of Phoenix. He would not allow him to manipulate her as he did Kore. He couldn't bear to see another mate bond shattered, forced to be separated because of Phoenix's demonic ways. It had nearly killed him last time, and Kore, he thought, letting out a deep breath, it had killed Kore. She wasted away in the underworld. Far away from the sun, her gardens, and her art; far away from him- her mate. "Kore," he spoke softly, stepping toward her, wishing he could touch her. He wanted to embrace her and feel her warm body pressed against his. But he couldn't. He was the almighty ruler of Shamayim, and he couldn't even save his mate. Doubting himself, he thought, how am I to save Roman then? "The totem you sent to watch over Roman; how did you find him?" he questioned. Kore grinned slyly and answered, "I still have connections with the witches. When I asked for a spirit animal to serve as a totem, they obliged". Eloheem returned her grin, "You still amaze me, my love.", he said softly. Kore now smiled sadly, "I'm sorry, Eloheem. I'm sorry I fell for Phoenix's deceit and lies. I loved you more than anything, and I still love you, but I ruined us." She was now crying, and he couldn't comfort her. Rage sparked within Eloheem. He would help Azrael end Phoenix once, and for all; war be damned.

After some time, Kore spoke again: "Gemory will find Roman. It's just a matter of time, and when she does, she will kill her, just as she tried when Roman was a child." Eloheem sighed, knowing she was right, and the time was rapidly approaching for them to tell Azrael. "What should we do?" he asked Kore. "I want to respect my brother's wishes, but Roman can no longer stay hidden. If we are to protect her, then she must know about her parents and her abilities", Kore answered. Eloheem agreed. Something about Roman and Azrael's mate bond was setting things in motion, and Eloheem needed to talk to Azrael before it was too late.