Club Universe

Roman arrived at work just as the last customers sat at the round art tables. Out of breath, Roman quickly tucked her bag in the back office, put on her smock, and waved a quick hello to Maya. Maya looked at her expectantly, "Later," she mouthed. Roman introduced herself to the class and what they would be working on. Each class was held on Mondays and Thursdays for one month and lasted 90 minutes. She would teach 2 of these classes daily for the next three months. This was sure to keep her busy, along with the other 1:1 sessions she offered. Maybe she wouldn't have time to think about Azrael and how she embarrassed herself this morning, although she would likely never see him again. Looking up from the paints she was mixing, she realized Phoenix was sitting at the back table. She hadn't even remembered meeting him last week. Walking over to him, she said, "Is this a coincidence, or are you stalking me?" she teased. "Stalking you," he said without missing a beat, letting his teasing tone wash over her. What was the likelihood of her meeting two of the undoubtedly most handsome men she had ever seen within days of each other? This all felt like a dream. A strange paranormal dream that she'd wake from at any time. Pushing that thought to the back of her mind, she began speaking to the class. For the remainder of the time, Roman instructed them on different paints and which worked best for what surfaces.

As the last of the customers trickled out, Roman heard Phoenix approaching. "You look beautiful today," he complimented her. She flushed, taken aback by the compliment. She didn't have low self-esteem; she knew how she looked and the male attention it afforded. It was how Phoenix stared at her intensely as if he were working out a riddle. Excusing herself, she said, "Thank you for taking my class, Phoenix, but I need to prepare for the next one." With that, she turned and headed for the back office. Maya was waiting for her the second she walked into the small room. "Ok, Roman, spill it!" she said, "and start with that delicious man you were talking to during class!". So Roman spent the next thirty minutes telling Maya everything. About meeting Phoenix, Malakai, and the morning she spent Azrael.

Maya sighed dreamily when Roman was finished. "Ah, I am completely jealous. You've met two insanely hot men in less than a week!" she teased. "OH!" Maya shouted, "Roman, you must invite them to the club tomorrow night!". Roman laughed, "I don't even have their numbers," she said, "and besides, I'm not inviting two strangers to come out with us, no matter how hot they are." Maya rolled her eyes, "whatever," she said playfully.

Phoenix watched as Roman exited the State of Create. Her scent was driving him crazy, and a wild need flared inside him—the need to possess her, to possess her mind and her body. Never had a mere mortal woman caused such a stir inside of him. Her disregarding attitude toward him earlier grated his nerves. Women usually threw themselves at him, desperate for any shred of affection or compliment. No, not Roman; instead, she had dismissed him. Letting his annoyance fester, he followed Roman toward the subway. What was so special about this girl? Besides her beauty, there was something else. Something that had to do with her heritage, and he was determined to find out what that something was.

Roman was pleased to see Malakai hadn't had an accident while she was at work. Letting him out the back, Roman sat down to watch him. He sniffed and explored the backyard, getting acquainted with his new home. Home, she thought. Well, I guess it looks like I am keeping him. Malakai did his business and made his way back to her. Plopping down beside her, Malakai licked her hand. Laughing, she began petting him. "Looks like we need to get you a few more things," she said. Deciding she'd go shopping for him this weekend, they returned inside.

Azrael was standing next to her. They peered over the cliff, down toward waves crashing upon rocks. He had his arm tightly secured around her waist, the warmth from his body seeping into hers. His scent brushed her nose, the wind stirring it around her. He smelled good, like earth and leather. He turned toward her, one hand still splayed upon her waist. Reaching up with his other, he traced the silver tattoos swirling up her arms. "You belong to me," he spoke. "These markings mean you are mine, and I will protect you from whatever is coming," he said firmly. "What is coming, Azrael? What do you mean?" she asked. Suddenly, his massive black wings sprung from his back, causing a gust of wind to loosen her hair. Azrael brushed her hair back, cupping her jaw and tilting her head so their eyes met. His thumb brushed upon her lower lip, causing a want to stir inside her. His eyes flashed a bright green as if he knew what she had been thinking, been wanting. They both moved at the same time, bringing their lips together.