Chaos

Belphegor leisurely walked up the streets of Winica, taking in the shops and markets erected along the mountain's natural curve, opening into the central city. The site of so many humans buzzing around the streets, talking and eating, utterly unaware of the demons among them, made his anger rise. Why these lesser creatures lived without the knowledge of his kind, he didn't know. If he ruled, humans would be enslaved, nothing but cattle to be used for entertainment. He relished the moment he could shed this disguise and descend upon them in his proper form. Seeing the pure terror and shock on their faces would feed his blackened soul, but that would have to wait. He observed them, now, taking stock of their measly, pathetic lives and the weak hierarchy put into place. Not often enough did Phoenix give him the freedom to unleash his chaos. He was forced to remain underground with pent-up energy, fucking and fighting, doing little to release the torment of energy simmering inside him. Belphegor reminisced the days, many centuries ago, when he roamed the Earth freely, inciting discord and upsetting the fragile balance humans teetered on. How easy it had been to pit them against each other. Greed, lust, jealousy, and wealth easily swaying them. A single whisper in a man's ear pitted him against his brother. A sly suggestion during heated touches would cause a female to abandon her morals. His demonic form may have been disgusting, but his beauty and charisma on earth were designed to lure his prey. He smiled wickedly to himself; he had free reign now while Phoenix was too distracted by the half-breed bitch. It didn't even matter to him that he had been commanded not to touch the little Nephilim. There were plenty of other humans he could play with.

Astaroth emerged from the subway, pleased with the fight he evoked during his short ride. Spotting Belphegor immediately, he grinned wickedly as he approached him. "Brother, it's been far too long. I hope you don't mind I started without you.", he said while gesturing to the scene behind him. Belphegor looked to where Astaroth pointed, spotting a group ascending the stairs from the subway. A group of teens were harassing an eccentrically dressed couple, yelling profanities and obscenities. Attracting the attention of onlookers, a few men and women halted the teens and were now talking to them, the conversation growing heated. Belphegor chuckled darkly, grasping Astaroth's shoulder, "Come, old friend, let us find more weak minds to influence." The pair turned, leaving the scene behind them as a police officer tried to calm the escalating crowd.

As they walked, Belphegor told Astaroth of the city's inner workings and the hierarchy in which Winica abided. The mountain's base housed the lower class, farmers, and blue-collar workers. The city was comprised of towering buildings, expensive houses, shops, and fine restaurants. Belphegor and Astaroth stopped at various markets and shops outside the city, whispering thoughts of injustice and filling minds with dark intentions. "Why are the homes so lavish in the city while the farmer's barns and sheds fall apart?" Astaroth asked one market owner. "Is it not the farmers who keep the city fed?" he continued when he saw the spark of anger in her eyes. Belphegor scoffed, "The farmers cannot afford to fix their properties. Too many taxes are taken from the crops and goods sold, and they see little profit. There is no excess of funds for building supplies, nor the time for labor". The market owner finally spoke, "We have brought the matter to the city council many times, but our concerns go unaddressed," she stated bluntly. Tsking Astaroth said, "Hm, perhaps a protest in the city will incite change."

Stepping out of the market, Belphegor asked, "How easy it is to sway human emotions, is it not Astaroth?". Astaroth nodded in agreement, "Their humanity makes them weak, fearful of change and losing power over one another.", he said. Yes, Belphegor thought, affirming his decision to ask Astaroth for help. It had been over 100 years since he had last seen him, and Belphegor was glad he hadn't changed. Astaroth was still the same sadistic demon he once roamed town to town with, causing destruction. In truth, Belphegor ached for that now, for the violence and despair he thrived on. But they would have to be careful. If Phoenix knew Astaroth was here now, he might also banish Belphegor. Refusing to dwell on it any longer, he turned toward his friend, "Where did Phoenix send you? I feared you would not answer when I called upon you." Deciding not to answer his question, Astaroth said, "I'd never miss a chance to stir up trouble with you." Belphegor bowed his heads at those words and replied, "I think what this city needs is a little bloodshed." The wicked grin Astaroth answered him with was all the confirmation needed.