Worlds Collide

Roman had seen Azrael in her dreams. She woke with a start, goosebumps rising on the back of her neck, moving down her arms. Her dream had felt so real that she now squeezed her thighs together, trying to stave off the need. Azrael had made love to her under the night sky back in Waihtnor. The stars shone so brightly above them that she could see the ring of gold around his irises. She had woken from her dream just as she climaxed, and giant black wings sprung from Azrael's back. Her obsession with angels needed to stop, she thought as she dragged herself out of bed.

Roman arrived at work early Monday morning with coffee in hand. She unloaded her bag and set Kian and Maya's coffees down. She was the first to State of Create today and took a moment to review the class material. Kian came strolling through the office door no sooner had she sat down. His mood perked up when he saw the coffee and said, "Aw, thanks, Rome. I needed this." Roman chuckled and stood to leave when Kian grasped her arm, halting her. "Are you doing ok, Rome? I feel like we haven't talked much lately." She didn't know what to say. He was right; they hadn't talked or spent time together since his birthday. She texted Maya all day long, but things were strained with Kian. Sighing, she stepped from his grasp and walked to the front of the store. Customers started trickling in, and her class would start soon. Kian followed behind her, waiting for an answer. She turned toward him, saying, "I'm okay, really Kian, I've just been busy, is all." "We are totally fine," she added, noting his brief look of disappointment as if he didn't believe what she was saying. Stepping to him, she wrapped her hands around his neck and hugged him, letting him know she meant what she said.

A deep voice spoke from behind her, sending chills down her spine, "Am I interrupting?" Phoenix asked narrowing his eyes to where Kian was still holding Roman's waist. Roman stepped out of Kian's arms and turned toward Phoenix; nausea rose in her stomach. He was incredibly handsome, but something about him made her uneasy. Whether it was the drunken mistake in the club or Azrael's influence, she could not say. "Phoenix," she said, "What are you doing here?" Phoenix took her in, noting her dark jeans and long-sleeved black shirt. "You don't seem too happy to see me, little angel, and after what we shared," he said gruffly. Kian scoffed, "I'll be in the back if you need me, Rome," he said, looking at Phoenix. "Why did you say that?" she asked Phoenix, not hiding her irritation. "He was touching what's mine," Phoenix replied casually. "I am not yours, Phoenix; please stop acting like you own me." "Soon, you will be mine, little angel." he threatened. "Stop calling me that!" she shouted, causing several people to turn around and stare, watching their interaction. Excusing herself quickly, Roman went to get ready for her workday.

Phoenix was sitting in this ridiculous art class again. All to win the affection of a woman who needed a reminder of who she belonged to. He grew agitated; the more he thought about their encounter this morning, the more it irked him. He had little patience to begin with, and Roman was testing him. Why couldn't she just agree to be his? It would make taking her to Sheol that much easier. Waiting for her to end her next class, Phoenix stood just outside the art studio, observing the passersby. He should invite Roman to dinner and do something romantic, a kind gesture. Maybe if he tried a new approach, she would be more amenable. Walking back inside, he saw her cleaning up for the day.

Roman noticed Phoenix before he reached her; rolling her eyes, she said, "What now?", "I wanted to invite you to dinner when you finish here," he answered. "No thanks," she snapped. Patience wholly gone, he retorted, "Fine. I can just take you back to my place and fuck you then". She gawked at him now, wide-eyed. Good, he thought; he was sick of her attitude. Any woman would gladly take her place, yet she still played hard to get it. And why was Phoenix so hell-bent on this woman? He knew the answer but did not allow himself to think it. "I am not sleeping with you, Phoenix. I was drunk the other night, and you caught me in a moment of weakness," Roman whispered. He grabbed her wrist and hissed angrily, "Stop saying no to me, Roman, you are only pissing me off."

Azrael walked into State of Create just as a man was roughly grabbing Roman's wrist. Fighting his rage, Azrael said darkly, "Let go of her, now." Phoenix stiffened at that voice. Letting Roman go, he turned to face Azrael, the mighty "Angel of Death," as they called him in Shamayim. Phoenix was pleased to see the shock also on Azrael's face. Chuckling Phoenix said, "Azrael, it's been a long time, hasn't it?" Quickly recovering from his shock at seeing the King of the underworld here and talking with Roman, he said, "What is it you want with Roman?" Roman was his mate; he wouldn't back down and would protect her. Phoenix's interest in her could only mean trouble, and he would need to seek out Eloheem for help.

Oh, this was not good, Roman thought, turning red. She spoke then, stuttering as she said, "Y-you know each other?" "We're old friends," Phoenix said, winking at her as he did so. Roman was going to throw up. She was looking at Azrael now, who looked like he wanted to murder Phoenix. Stepping out from behind Phoenix, Roman made her way over to Azrael. "What are you doing here?" she asked softly. Gazing at her, he said gently, "I wanted to surprise you. I've missed you." Butterflies erupting, she thought, this is what it should feel like, not nausea and uneasiness. Blushing, Roman dipped her head and said, "I've missed you too, Azrael." Remembering Phoenix, she turned to see he was fuming. Trying to diffuse the situation, she again turned to Azrael, "Let me just get my bag, and we can leave."

Following Azrael outside, Phoenix was about to end the Angel of Death. "What do you want with Roman, Phoenix?" Azrael asked. "Oh, that's simple, Angel of Death; I want her to be my mate and sit by my side in Sheol." Azrael growled, "She will never be your mate, and you will not take her to Sheol." "I will, and you won't try and stop me because if you do, I will take her soul and hold it in Sheol for all eternity; she will be my prisoner. "Or," Phoenix said, "You leave us alone, and she can have a happy life by my side. Oh, and don't worry, Azrael, I'll take good care of her, just as I did the other night," Phoenix smirked, relishing in the pained expression on Azrael's face. Before Azrael could respond, Phoenix left, leaving Azrael to ponder his words. Had Roman had allowed Phoenix to touch? If she had, she was in much more danger than she realized.