The first days.

chapter 2 

          Ivy woke up to the soft glow of the early morning sun filtering through the curtains. She stretched and yawned, feeling the cool breeze from the air conditioner. With a sense of curiosity, she walked over to the window and pulled back the curtains, revealing the bustling streets of Tokyo below.

The city was already alive with people hurrying to work, vendors setting up their stalls, and the distant hum of traffic. As she gazed in awe at the vibrant scene, a sudden shockwave of energy pulsed through the air.

The sky turned an ominous gray, the lights flickered and shattered, and the once-busy streets were now eerily silent. Ivy's eyes widened in horror as she saw a few lifeless bodies strewn across the ground, the city transformed into a desolate wasteland. Her ears began to ring, a high-pitched noise that grew louder and more unbearable by the second. Panic surged through her. She stumbled back from the window, her heart pounding in her chest. She fumbled for her noise-canceling earplugs, her hands shaking as she tried to block out the piercing sound. Her headphones had been useless against the noise, but the earplugs provided relief. Taking a deep breath, she cautiously approached the window again. To her astonishment, the city was back to normal. The sky was blue, the lights were on, and people were moving about as if nothing had happened.

Ivy's mind raced, trying to make sense of what she had just witnessed. What was that? she thought, her heart still racing. Was it a misinterpretation? A hallucination? But.... I haven't had a hallucination since I was a child... Ivy thought to herself. Memories of her childhood flooded back. She remembered the loud, realistic hallucinations she used to have, visions that she could sometimes change or prevent because she had seen them happen before. Her parents had always called it déjà vu, dismissing her experiences as mere daydreams. But this... this was different. She hadn't experienced anything this vivid. Being able to see the world twist was definitely different. The last time a hallucination happened was when she was around 9... Could it be happening again? she wondered, fear and confusion swirling in her mind. Why now? And why here? Ivy took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. She needed to stay focused, to figure out what was going on.

The lingering fear gnawed at her, a reminder that something was very, very wrong. Daniella stirred from her sleep, stretching lazily as the morning light filtered into the room. She glanced over at Ivy, who was sitting on the edge of her bed, staring blankly at the floor. Daniella's eyes widened in concern as she noticed how pale Ivy looked. "Ivy, are you okay?" Daniella asked, her voice filled with worry. "You look like you've seen a ghost." Ivy snapped out of her trance and nodded her head. "It's nothing, Daniella. I just had a weird dream, that's all. Maybe I just need a bath to wake up more." Daniella frowned but nodded, deciding not to press further. "Alright, if you say so. I'm here if anything." Ivy gave her a reassuring nod, still shaken up, her face remained still before heading to the bathroom.

She turned on the shower, letting the steam fill the room. As the water cascaded over her, she closed her eyes, trying to wash away the lingering fear from her vision. Letting the warmth of the water relax her tense muscles. She lathered her hair with shampoo, the coconut scent calming her nerves. After rinsing off, she stood under the stream for a few more seconds, allowing herself to fully wake up. Feeling somewhat refreshed, Ivy stepped out of the shower and wrapped herself in a fluffy towel. She dried off got dressed, did her hair, and was ready for the day. Daniella entered the bathroom next, giving Ivy a small smile as they passed each other.

Once both girls were ready, they headed to the boys' room to gather the rest of their group. The boys were already up and getting ready, chatting animatedly about their plans for the day. Ivy and Daniella walked down the open hallway to the boys' room, the hall giving them a view of Tokyo. Daniella knocked on the door, and they waited for a moment. Ivy's gaze drifted to the balcony, her mind replaying the haunting vision she had seen earlier that morning. The memory of the lifeless city and the ringing in her ears sent a shiver down her spine.