Possibilities vs. Outcomes

chapter 10

                    Dr. Harper took a deep breath as she approached Oliver's room. The encounters with the other kids had left her feeling drained, but she knew she had to keep going. She knocked gently on the door before entering.

Oliver was sitting on the bed, his posture relaxed but his eyes alert. He looked up as she entered, his expression guarded.

"Hello, Oliver," Dr. Harper began, offering a small smile. "I'm Dr. Harper. I know this has been a difficult time for you, and I'm here to help."

Oliver nodded slightly, his gaze never leaving her face. "I know that's not all you're here for. What do you want to know?" he asked, his voice calm but tinged with suspicion.

"You're right, I just have a couple of question, all I ask for is your cooperation. I need to ask you about the visions you've been having," Dr. Harper said gently. "And any other experiences that might be considered unnatural."

Oliver's eyes narrowed slightly. "Why do you need to know that?" he asked. "What does it matter to you?"

Dr. Harper sighed inwardly. "I understand your concern, Oliver. But this information could help us understand what's happening to you and your friends. It could help us find a way to make things better."

Oliver remained silent for a moment, his expression thoughtful. "My main concern is my friends," he said finally. "I want to know that they're okay. And I want to know why you put me in that room and ran tests on my brain. What's your plan?"

Dr. Harper hesitated, knowing she couldn't reveal too much. "I can't share all the details with you, Oliver. But I can tell you that we're trying to understand the nature of your abilities. We want to help you."

Oliver's eyes softened slightly, but he still looked wary. "I don't trust you," he said bluntly. "But I'm willing to give you some time. Just know that if anything happens to my friends, I won't cooperate."

Dr. Harper nodded, appreciating his honesty. "Thank you, Oliver. I promise you, I will do everything I can to keep you and your friends safe. If you ever feel ready to share more about your visions, I'm here to listen."

Oliver nodded again, his expression unreadable. "We'll see," he said simply.

Dr. Harper stood up, feeling a mix of hope and frustration. "Alright, Oliver. I'll check in with you again soon. Take care."

As she left the room, she couldn't help but feel a glimmer of hope. Oliver was calmer and more reasonable than the others, and she sensed that he might eventually open up. But for now, she had to be patient and continue to build their trust, one step at a time.

Dr. Harper took a deep breath as she approached Ivy's room. She knew this conversation would be challenging, but she had to try. Knocking gently, she entered the room to find Ivy sitting on her bed, her white hair cascading over her shoulders, her blue eyes watching Dr. Harper warily.

"Hello, Ivy," Dr. Harper began softly. "I just want to help and make things better for you and your friends."

Ivy shook her head, her expression resolute. "No, thank you," she replied. "I don't want to share. I've always had these visions, so they're not new to me. I'd rather leave it alone."

Dr. Harper noticed the earplugs in Ivy's ears and frowned slightly. "What are those for?" she asked, trying to keep her tone casual.

Ivy's eyes narrowed, and she quickly shut down the concern. "It's nothing. Just something I use. Don't worry about it."

Dr. Harper sighed inwardly, sensing the wall Ivy had built around herself. She stood up, about to leave, when she remembered what her higher-up had mentioned. Turning back, she looked at Ivy with determination.