Change in plans.

chapter 13.

                Diego and Daniella were each in their separate rooms, being treated by doctors. Diego winced as the doctor stitched up the deep gash on his arm, the pain a constant reminder of the brutal fight. Daniella lay on her bed, her body aching from the impact of the dreadling's attack. The doctors worked quickly, their faces impassive as they tended to the twins' injuries.

Meanwhile, Dr. Harper received a summons to Mr. S's office. She walked briskly through the corridors, her mind racing with concern for the twins. When she arrived, she knocked lightly before entering.

"Come in," Mr. S said, his tone cold and authoritative.

Dr. Harper stepped inside, closing the door behind her. "You wanted to see me, sir?"

Mr. S nodded, gesturing for her to sit. "Yes, I wanted to discuss our next steps before we put Nolan or Asher in for testing."

Dr. Harper sat down, her heart pounding. "What do you have in mind?"

Mr. S leaned back in his chair, his eyes narrowing thoughtfully. "I took note of Daniella's immense strength during the last test. I've noticed it's different for people like Diego and Ivy. Before their eyes glow and they impact their surroundings, they are already strong. Ivy, for example, knew how to fight from the beginning. Diego, as his parent's mentioned, was always the stronger twin, which could explain him punching the wall, breaking it, which was the stage right before he impacted his surroundings. Though I couldn't catch if his eyes gleamed red."

Dr. Harper listened intently, her worry growing. "What are you getting at?"

"The trigger is anger," Mr. S continued. "When they get angry, they release around the same impact as the feral dreadlings if not worst. Meaning they can be at the stage where they are at a dreadlings level. Like the others did before they turned into them. But these kids are different. they still communicate and act normal until triggered. The others went non-verbal before they turned feral, and completely switched, meaning they are no longer human. I want to test their strengths. And allow Ivy and Diego to enter the box with a dreadling. But this time, I want to give them time to rehearse a plan with one another and see how that works since they both didn't show fear of the dreadling before gaining strength—they just fought it. And If it all works out to well, we will send in one of the other ones."

Dr. Harper's eyes widened in alarm. "Sir, that's extremely dangerous. If anything goes wrong, what then?"

Mr. S's expression remained cold and calculating. "A small struggle won't hurt. We need to push them to their limits to understand their true potential."

Dr. Harper's heart sank, fear gripping her. She knew the risks involved, and the thought of putting Ivy and Diego through such a test filled her with dread. "Sir, I must protest. Their lives are at stake."

Mr. S's gaze hardened. "Did you forget who is in charge here, Dr. Harper? You follow what I say. You are in no position to 'protest' against any of my words."

 As she left his office, her heart was heavy with fear and determination.

The night finally came to play. The kids were all asleep, but Dr. Harper couldn't stop thinking about the position Diego and Ivy are going to be in. Dr. Harper was sitting in her office when her walkie buzzed. "Dr. Harper, report back to my office." 

Dr. Harper sighed, feeling a wave of frustration. She was sick of his office, but she couldn't disobey. She stood up, dusting off her slacks, and made her way to Mr. S's office. When she arrived, she knocked lightly before entering.

"Come in," Mr. S's voice called from inside.

Dr. Harper stepped into the office and took a seat, her heart heavy with dread. "You wanted to see me again, sir?"