Switch.

Chapter 12.

               The next morning, Ivy woke up to an eerie silence. The room was still and lonely, the only comfort being the bed she laid on. She stared at the ceiling, her mind replaying the events of the previous day. Breaking out had felt strange, almost feral. She hadn't felt like herself, driven by an uncontrollable urge.

She thought about the button Mr. S, had pressed, the one that released the smoke. Without a mask, they were all vulnerable to it. She realized that the smoke distributed everywhere, and they must have gas bombs for use outside, like the first time they were captured. This could be a weakness they shown. They obviously have weapons too. Ivy knew she needed to find a way to communicate with the others.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the door opening. Dr. Harper walked in, carrying a tray with Ivy's breakfast.

"Good morning, Ivy," Dr. Harper said softly, placing the tray on the small table beside the bed.

Ivy sat up slowly, her eyes wary. "Morning," she replied, her tone guarded.

Dr. Harper hesitated for a moment before speaking again. "How are you feeling?"

Ivy shrugged, picking at the food on her tray. "Would've been better if I wasn't here."

Dr. Harper sighed, pulling up a chair and sitting down. "I know yesterday was... difficult. I'm sorry you all had to go through that."

Ivy's eyes narrowed. "We're still trapped here and being tested on, Oliver still looked badly hurt and got knocked out with sleeping gas after, like the rest of us. Sorry can't change that."

Dr. Harper looked down; her expression pained. "I know. And I wish I could do more to help you. But my hands are tied."

Ivy scoffed. "You always say that. But you're the one with the gas mask, the one who gets to walk out of here whenever you want."

Dr. Harper's eyes filled with regret. "Ivy, let me tell you something. I know I say it a lot, and it feels like a lie to you, but I really am trying to help. But it's complicated. There are things you don't understand."

"Then explain it to me," Ivy demanded, her voice rising. "Tell me why we're here, why we're being treated like lab rats."

Dr. Harper took a deep breath, her eyes meeting Ivy's. "You're here because of what you can do. Because of potential impacts. I don't agree with how they're going about it. I want to find a way to stop the tests, to get you all out of here safely. But it's hard when I have to abide by Mr. S."

Ivy's expression softened slightly, but she remained skeptical. "And how do you plan to do that?"

Dr. Harper shook her head. "I don't know yet. But I'm working on it. I need you all to have a little faith."

Ivy looked away, her mind racing. Trust was a luxury she couldn't afford. But she also knew she needed allies, and Dr. Harper might be their best chance.

"I'll try," Ivy said finally, her voice quiet.

Dr. Harper nodded, standing up. "That's all I can ask. I'll be back later to check on you."

As Dr. Harper turned to leave, Ivy's voice stopped her. "Wait," she called out, her tone urgent and sharp.

Dr. Harper paused, turning back to face her. "Yes, Ivy?"

"How's Oliver?" Ivy asked, her eyes filled with concern.

Dr. Harper offered a reassuring smile. "He's okay. Just on bed rest for now. He took quite a beating, but he'll recover."

Ivy felt a pang of relief mixed with guilt. "Good. I'm glad he's okay." She took a deep breath, steeling herself. "I have one more question."

Dr. Harper nodded, sensing the seriousness in Ivy's voice. "What is it?"