Chapter 27: Evolution of the Daleks

[Dalek laboratory]

"These... humans will become like me. Prepare them for hybridization." Sec orders as the Doctor and the Alchemist sneak behind a large piece of equipment; she fixes herself, adjusting her hair and he pulls the mask off as she preps her ears with a smirk.

The Pigmen surround Martha and the other prisoners; one of them grabbing her.

"Leave me alone!" she shouts and kicks, "Don't you dare!"

The Doctor hits the play button on the radio and 'Happy Days are Here Again' starts up causing everyone in the room to look around in confusion.

"What is that sound?" Sec demands.

The Doctor and the Alchemist peak out before stepping around the equipment; the Time Lady with the radio at hand while her Bondmate tosses about his sonic screwdriver.

"Ah, well, now," she puts it down by Bunsen burner, smirking, "That would be us."

They approach Sec, curious, "Hello. Surprise. Boo. Et cetera," the Doctor remarks with a shrug.

"Perhaps Happy Birthday might be more apt," the Alchemist quips.

"Doctor. Alchemist," Sec glares.

"The enemies of the Daleks!" Thay calls out.

"Exterminate!" Caan shouts and aims its laser arm at the pair.

Sec holds up a hand, "Wait!"

"Well, then..." the Alchemist trails off as she eyes Caan and then Sec, stunned, "A new form of Dalek. Isn't this fascinating?"

The Doctor nods, also surprised by Sec's order, "And Clever. very clever."

Sec continues to glare at them, "The Cult of Skaro escaped your slaughter."

"Of the Cybermen?" the Time Lady raises a brow, "You were doing that yourself."

"Of the Daleks."

"Oh, I didn't slaughter them. I deleted them," she smirks as Sec's glare hardens.

The Doctor spares her an unamused glance, "How did you end up in 1930?"

"Emergency temporal shift."

"Oh, that must have roasted up your power cells, huh?" the Alchemist scoffs.

The Time Lord shakes his head in disgust, "Time was, four Daleks could have conquered the world, but instead, you're skulking away, hidden in the dark, experimenting. All of which results in you."

"I am Dalek in human form," Sec says proudly.

The Doctor frowns, "What does it feel like? You can talk to me, Dalek Sec. It is Dalek Sec, isn't it? That's your name? You've got a name and a mind of your own. Tell me what you're thinking right now."

Sec turns away, glancing to the ground in thought, "I feel... humanity."

The Alchemist eyes it in confusion.

"Good," the Time Lord nods, "That's good."

"I feel... everything we wanted from mankind, which is ambition, hatred, aggression, and war. Such... a genius for war."

"No," the Alchemist frowns, stepping forward again, "That's not what humanity means."

"I think it does," Sec replies, looking at her, "At heart, this species is so very... Dalek."

"Alright, so what have you achieved then, with this 'Final Experiment,' eh?" the Doctor asks, "Nothing! 'Cause I can show you what you're missing with this thing," he continues, approaching where his wife placed it, "A simple little radio."