Chapter 34: Utopia

[TARDIS]

"Cardiff!" the Doctor announces with a smile as they materialize.

"Cardiff...?" Martha frowns.

"It's built on a rift in time and space," the Alchemist explains, "Just like California and the San Andreas Fault, but the rift bleeds energy."

The Time Lady passes the scanner and double backs, spotting something, and hides her grin.

"Every now and then we need to open up the engines, soak up the energy, and use it as fuel."

"So it's a pit stop," their companion nods.

"Exactly," the Time Lord grins, "Should only take twenty seconds. The rift's been active."

"Wait a minute..." Martha frowns in realization, "They had an earthquake in Cardiff a couple of years ago. Was that you?"

"Bit of trouble with the Slitheen," he winces.

"Raxacoricofallapatorians," the Alchemist informs her, still watching the scanner.

The Doctor nods, "Long time ago. Lifetimes. I was a different man back then."

"I was a mean lady. Really, awful," the Time Lady admits.

"Is that a fancy way of saying you were a different Regeneration?" Martha deadpans.

The Doctor rolls his eyes, "Yes."

Whirring, the TARDIS lets them know that she's finished, and the Time Lord calls out, "Finito. All powered up."

The Doctor also sees Jack on the scanner, and his eyes go wide. He sets the TARDIS going. Jack leaps for the outside of the ship and the console starts to spark and sputter.

The TARDIS rocks severely, side to side, as they spin in an unknown course through the Vortex. Even the Alchemist is knocked off her feet before they all clamor up.

"Whoa!" Martha cries as she clings to the console, "What's that!?"

"No, Bluette, be nice!" The Alchemist shouts as the Doctor and her run to check the monitor, checking the readouts.

"We're accelerating into the future!" the Time Lord cries, "The year one billion. Five billion. Five trillion. Fifty trillion? What? The year one hundred trillion!?"

"...That's impossible," the Alchemist breathes.

"Why?" Martha frowns, "What happens then?"

The Doctor turns to her, face drawn in serious expression, "We're going to the end of the universe."

"Oh no, I'm not going to like this am I?" The Alchemist bemoans now trying to fight with the TARDIS.

The ship stops with a heavy thud; The Time Lords look at each other warily.

"...Well, we've landed," the Doctor mutters.

Martha glances at the doors, "So what's out there?"

"I don't know."

"Say that again," she smiles, "That's rare."

"If he won't, I will..." the Alchemist sighs, "I don't know."

The Time Lord slowly nods, "Not even the Time Lords came this far. We should leave. We should go. We should really... really... go."

"Nope, not happening!" the Alchemist shouts.

The trio grin at one another and rush to the doors.

[Planet surface]

The planet they find themselves on is quiet, silent, and desolate. The Alchemist immediately looks up with a frown, it's dark, but there are no stars, nothing. She sighs heavily before looking down upon Jack's prone form.