Episode 5: Alexander (Sterling family Loss Part 1)

I sit on the edge of the boxing ring, hastily typing a message to Holden.

Me: "Just give me 10 minutes and I'll call you."

Big Brother: "No way in hell, Alexander. Call me right now. This is urgent."

Me: "Alright, damn it."

I quickly respond and then dial his number. "What the hell do you want, Holden? It's only 3:30pm and I'm trying to fit in some boxing." I hear him take a deep breath before speaking.

"It's Mom, Alex. She was rushed to the hospital. Meet us at Evergreen Valley Medical Center, it's an emergency." Holden shouts through the phone.

I can't think straight. My mother was taken to the hospital? What could have happened? First Elara shows up out of nowhere, and now our mother is in the hospital. "I'm on my way. See you in 15 minutes." I reply before hanging up and rushing to the locker room to change out of my boxing clothes and into something more suitable for going out.

I grab my keys and wallet and head towards the parking lot, jumping into my SUV. Our mother has always been healthy; what could be wrong? I start driving towards the hospital, anxious and worried about my mother's condition.When I finally arrive at the hospital, I see Holden's car parked outside in the visitor parking lot. I dash inside, through the sliding doors, and head straight to the emergency department.

I approach the reception desk and say, "I'm looking for Victoria Sterling."

"Are you family?" the receptionist asks.

"I'm her son. Where can I find her?" I respond.

"They're still running tests. You can wait over there," she gestures towards the waiting area. I walk over to find Holden pacing back and forth, clearly anxious.

"Holden, any updates?" I ask, noticing that Nicholas is not with him. "Where's Nicholas?"

"Not yet. The doctors are still with her. Nicholas and Latoria are on their way," Holden replies.

"I can't believe this is happening," I say, feeling overwhelmed and placing my face in my hands.

"I know, Alex. Just stay strong for Mom," Holden reassures me as we sit in the tense waiting room, anxiously awaiting any news on our mother's condition.

I asked Holden, "Where's Dad?" as I scanned the waiting room but didn't see him anywhere.

"He's on his way. He was in a meeting when I called him. He'll be here as soon as he can," Holden sighs.

"This is a lot to handle. First, Elara comes back, and now this," I added, running my hands through my hair.

"I know, bro. I know. But we have to stay strong for Mom," Holden replies, nodding in agreement.

Suddenly, a middle-aged doctor with a stethoscope around his neck and a clipboard in hand walks into the waiting room. "Are you the Sterling family?" he asks, glancing between Holden and me.

"Yes," we both reply in unison, standing up to face the doctor.

"I'm Dr. Mason Harper, the cardiologist who has been caring for your mother," he starts.

"She suffered a heart attack today." Holden and I exchange worried glances before he continues, "However, we caught it in time. We've stabilized her condition, and we're currently monitoring her closely."

"Can we see her?" I ask, desperate to see my mother.

"Certainly. I just need you both to sign these consent forms that authorize us to treat her and process her insurance," Dr. Harper says as he hands us a clipboard containing the two forms along with a pen.