Episode 15: He not mine

The days drag on like a never-ending nightmare as I pace relentlessly down this sterile, fluorescent-lit hospital hallway. With every step, I am reminded of the anxiety that had consumed me for two agonizing days as I waited for the lawyer to arrange the DNA test. Now that it's finally happening, my nerves are shot. My younger brother Nicholas and our clueless lawyer, Reggie Eldritch, are here with me.

He's been our attorney for a decade but still acts like he's riding the short bus. He's the type of person who wears a helmet and sits in a car seat because he's that unintelligent. The damn window licker kid, fucking idiot, is what he is.

"Alex, please sit down. You're making me dizzy," Nicholas scolds, gesturing to the empty seats around us. "It's so fucking annoying to watch you pace back and forth like a damn robot."

I glare at my little brother, feeling my anger rise. "Shut up, Nick. Let me deal with this on my own. I'm freaking out here, can't you see that? If the roles were reversed, I wouldn't even tell you to calm down. Fuck!" I snap at him, my voice raw and filled with frustration.

"Well, go ahead and wear a hole in your shoes then, but don't say I didn't warn you. I'll just text our sister-in-law and bother her," he retorts with an eye roll as he pulls out his phone. Our new sister-in-law is like our best friend; she's been a bright spot in our family ever since she married our big brother. We've all had our fair share of bad relationships, so we appreciate her more than anyone could know.

I can't sit still as I wait for my turn, my mind racing about what this could mean. I continue to pace back and forth, unable to calm down. My eyes catch sight of Elara Thornfield and her 10-year-old son walking out of one of the rooms. She stops and stares at me, her cold gaze piercing through me like a knife. Her son follows suit, his expression equally fierce and unfamiliar. He doesn't resemble me or anyone from our side of the family. He looks more like Henry, but I'll still have to go through this bullshit.

Without warning, Elara grabs her son's hand and quickly strides down the hall. I'm jolted out of my daze by the nurse calling my name. "Mr. Alexander Sterling, please follow me into the room," she beckons, her voice sharp and unwelcoming. With a deep breath, I force myself to follow her into the unknown results that may change everything. I can only hope for the best but prepare for the worst as I take my seat, the air in the room thicker than ever before.

Inside the room, a test tube and a bunch of medical equipment are laid out on the table, along with two seats for myself and the nurse. She closes the door, ensuring that we're alone, and gestures for me to sit down. "Mr. Sterling, I need to take a sample of your blood today for a DNA test. You can expect to receive the results within 24 hours," the nurse informed me with a reassuring glance.

The room felt ice-cold as the nurse drew blood from my arm, and my thoughts raced a mile a minute. I couldn't help but wonder about the boy I'd just seen with Elara. Could he be mine? The Nurse finishes up and hands me a piece of gauze, "Here, press firmly on the cotton ball to stop the bleeding." she instructs. "Now, we just have to wait for the results. I'll let you know as soon as they're in," she says, her voice sympathetic.

As I walk out of the room, my legs shaking and my heart pounding, I spot Elara and her son again. This time, they're joined by their lawyer, who shoots me a smug look. My stomach tightens as I realize this could be a long and messy journey ahead. My brother, Reggie, the lawyer, approached me.

"Are you ready to leave, Alex?" my brother Nicholas asked. I nodded in response, knowing that the next 24 hours were going to feel like an eternity. We walked together towards the front entrance of the hospital, where our driver, Gordon, was waiting with the car door open. My brother and I sat in the backseat while Reggie took the passenger seat up front.