Episode 7: Dayo Faizan Turner

I overslept this morning and realized I will be late for work. The reason? I was up past my bedtime, working tirelessly on a new software project. I aim to get it coded and ready to present at the meeting today.

Gah! I'll have to take an Uber and hope my boss doesn't notice. Excuse my language, but I need to take a shower. I quickly leap out of bed and scamper to my bathroom. I strip off my clothes and turn on the water before hopping into the shower.

Luckily, the water heats up fast and I'm able to clean myself in record time. As I step out of the shower, my phone starts buzzing with a notification from my boss, Victor Blackwood.

He can be quite a pain in the ass sometimes. The message reads:

BOSS VICTOR: "Dayo, where are you? You were supposed to be here early so we could test the software before the presentation. If you mess up in front of these investors, your job is on the line."

I roll my eyes and quickly text back.

ME: "Victor, I overslept. I'm getting dressed now and will be there in 20 minutes. Luckily, the meeting isn't until 11 am so we still have plenty of time."

His response comes back swiftly.

"Lovely," I mutter to myself sarcastically, "such a charmer." Rushing through my morning routine, I head to my closet and slip into my go-to black Blazer Skirt Set with a red top and my trusty black Stilettos with red bottoms. I quickly put my natural curls up in an updo, leaving a few loose tendrils framing my face. A bit of makeup and some false lashes complete the look. Snatching up my purse, computer bag, cellphone, coat, and keys, I make my way to the kitchen.

The fall weather in Evergreen Valley can get chilly, so I grab a coat to take with me just in case. I book an Uber while waiting for my breakfast bagel to toast. As soon as it pops up, I spread on some cream cheese and hastily wrap it in foil before grabbing it and heading out the door. After locking up my condo, I head to the elevator.

Just as I receive a text from the Uber driver saying they're here, the elevator reaches the first floor. Hurrying out, I send a quick reply that I'm on my way. As I approach the Uber, I pray that the day won't be as terrible as it's starting out to be. Miraculously, the traffic isn't too bad and I make it to work with 10 minutes to spare.

I sigh with relief and hustle into the building. My heart is pounding in my chest as I swipe my badge and take the elevator up to my floor. As soon as I step off, I can feel the tension in the air.

"You're late," Victor says icily as he strides out of his big designer office, coffee mug in hand. He doesn't even bother to hide his disapproval. "Get this software up and running, I want to test it now."

"Yes, Victor," I said, fighting to keep my voice level. After making my way to my office, I set down my bag and coat. Taking a seat at my desk, I logged into the computer and immediately launched the necessary software. A few keystrokes later, the program was up and running. "Here you go, Vict—I mean, boss."

Victor sat down at my desk, his eyes narrowing as he scrutinized the interface. He tapped away at the keyboard for a few minutes, his brow furrowing ever so slightly. Finally, he looked up at me and grunted. "It's... passable." Coming from him, that was practically a glowing review.

"Thank you, boss," I said through gritted teeth.

"Anything else before the meeting?"

"No, just make sure there are no glitches during the presentation," he said before stalking back to his office, slamming the door behind him.

Great, I thought sarcastically. Just what I need, more pressure. With a deep breath, I straightened my Blazer Skirt Set and grabbed my presentation materials. It was time to face the investors and hope for the best.