Episode 13: Alexander

After a few days, I find myself back at my father's house, working on the software that came with Liane's company. To be honest, I'm not sure why she even started this tech company; her financial records don't paint a positive picture. She claims to have 20 years of experience in the industry, but her records beg to differ. It makes me wonder if she was just a bad business owner.

Even her past software didn't do well. She invested so much unnecessary resources into this company. She should have sold it within the first year. How did she manage to keep it afloat? If it weren't for her wealthy husband, this company would have gone under a long time ago according to these records.

Looking at the income generated by this business, it wasn't even worth keeping it open because she wasn't breaking even.I pray I am prepared for what lies ahead. I've never been one for numbers but I'm going to have to learn fast if I'm going to save this sinking ship.

Suddenly, my phone buzzes with a text from Liane.

"Hey, how's it going? I've been thinking, maybe we can have a video call later today to catch up and I can give you some insights on the company. I know it's a lot to take in."

I stare at the screen, contemplating if I should even respond. In the end, I reluctantly type a reply.

"Yeah, sure. I'll be here, whenever you're free."

Hours pass, and I'm still drowning in spreadsheets when my phone buzzes again. It's her FaceTiming me. I reluctantly answer the call.

"Hey, Liane," I greet her, trying to sound as civil as possible.

"Hi! It's good to see you again, you're looking well," she says, looking at me intently.

"Thanks, how's the view from the other side?" I ask, feigning politeness.

"Oh, it's... peaceful, I guess. But enough about me, I want to hear all about the company. How are things?"

Within moments, we immerse ourselves in a lengthy conversation about the company's financial status, past projects, and future potential. I discover that Liane inherited the company from her late father who was the mastermind behind it all. He possessed both the vision and technical expertise to create such a successful business. Meanwhile, she was merely a daughter who happened to have a wealthy father. He wanted her to learn from him.

"I'm sorry I never mentioned any of this before," she confesses, sounding apologetic. "To be honest, Alexander, my 20 years of experience refers to the time I spent working in this company with my father as he built it from the ground up. When he passed away 10 years ago, I inherited it. He taught me everything I know about technology; I didn't go to college or receive any formal training in this field. But eventually, I grew tired of managing the company and decided to sell it." She adds with a sigh. It was clear that she had little knowledge about technology and running a business.

I could tell that she felt regretful, but that didn't change the fact that this company was destined for failure even before I took over. My plan is to merge it with my own company and gradually phase out what doesn't fit with my vision. "Don't worry about it, Liane. Let's just move forward," I reassure her with a dismissive gesture. "I'll bring your team on board with mine and make it one big company. With my background in IT management and software engineering, I've got this covered."

She smiles appreciatively. "That's great news, Alexander! Thanks for taking this off my hands. Now what are your plans for the hotel software?" She asks curiously about the incomplete project she started. Upon taking a closer look at it, I realize it's not even functional software - more like a rough concept. I'll have to tear it down and rebuild it from the ground up.

"Well, I've been looking at it carefully - in fact, that's what I was doing before you texted me. Since it's Saturday, my company is closed anyway. So while I'm here at my father's house, I'm going through the codebase and finding lots of errors. It looks like I'll need to start from scratch with this one." I explain, as I continue to assess the project. "Fortunately, I have a team here that can help me. Next week, I'd like for you to come to my office so we can discuss your team's roles and positions within our company. Will you be available?" I ask her.

"Of course, I'd be delighted to help in any way I can," Liane replies eagerly. "Just let me know what you need from me and my team."

"Great, I'll send you the details later," I say, ending the call after a few more minutes of small talk. As I hang up the call, I stare at the messy codebase in front of me. It's going to be a long night, but I'm determined to salvage this company and and bring it to life.

Technology has always been my true passion. As I sit here typing away at my code, thoughts of Elara's claim that I might be the father of her children creep into my mind. It's definitely a possibility, given our past relationship. I made a mistake when I slept with her, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to be a father just yet. I can't help but wonder how my life would have been different if I had stayed with Elara. We were about to be married, thank God I didn't marry that cheater.

Lost in my thoughts, hours pass by quickly. It's already past midnight when I decide to call it a day. I save my progress and shut down the computer.The clock reads 12:30 AM. I need some sleep. Monday, I'll have to break the news to my team about the merger and begin integrating Liane's team into ours. It's going to be a challenging few weeks ahead, but nothing I can't handle.

Before I do anything else, I need to call my lawyer and confirm that everything is in order for the sale and that they have the signed contract on file. But first, I need to obtain this damn DNA evidence so I can finally put an end to all of this drama with Elara. I pray that this child isn't mine; I want my firstborn to be with my wife.

Leaving my private office at my father's house, I make sure to lock the door before heading upstairs to my room. As I pass by my parents' room, I stop at the door. Every night, I can hear my father crying and begging for God to bring our mother back. My heart breaks for him. I miss her too, and I will be here for my father for as long as he needs me.

Slipping into bed, I drift off to sleep, filled with both trepidation and anticipation about this coming week. I have a sense that things are on the cusp of changing significantly for me. And I can only hope that it's for the better.

Dear Readers,

Alexander is now the official owner of Zenith Innovations. His father is mourning deeply for his wife's passing. Little did Alexander know that Liane had limited experience in the tech industry, only what her father had taught her. With the company facing financial struggles, Alexander plans to completely revamp and rebuild it. But lurking in the shadows is Victor Blackwood, still trying to get his hands on the hotel software.

Meanwhile, Alexander is also considering a DNA test for Elara's 9-year-old son. It seems like everything is happening at once for Alexander, as he grieves for his mother and deals with these various challenges. Will he be able to handle it all? Stay tuned for the next few episodes.

Happy Reading!

Pagine D'Oro