71. Amy

After Adam left, I am alone in the home. It gave me time to think. About last night. About my life. After the divorce, I got the job I dream about. Jewelry designer at SJ. I was excited and nervous at the same time on the first day of work. Now, I am working hard to make a name of myself. My skill is getting the recognition from people around. It's about professional life.

Talking about private life. Life with Adam has been great. When I am with him, I don't have to be perfect, I don't have to pretend to be someone I am not. I can be real. I am me. Even though, he is great CEO, he do what a normal people do. Even though he is busy with work, he still take time out of his schedule to spend time with me. To go to dates with me. He cooks for me, even though he can hire chefs. He always made sure that we are equal in this relation. Our status is different, financially speaking, he is stronger than me. Social status is very large between us.

I know it, but today, the realization hit me hard. The way he took revenge on his family. It kind of scared me. Why did he do it? To his own family? I never knew that Business Giants Grant family is related to Adam. If Adam is related to Grant family, why is his last name Clark? If your relationship with your family is bad, you can ignore them or avoid them, like I did with Walt family. Even though that have committed so many crimes, I have never hold any grudge against them. That's why people tell I am nice and naïve? Cause any normal person would hold grudge against the person who hurt them. What can't I take revenge on them? What's the difference between me, now and past? The difference is I am my own person. I don't have to meet expectations of others. I am not change, I have only upgraded my life style.

The air inside the home fell stiff. I feel restless. I need fresh air. I decide to go out. Since, Adam is not home yet. I can will go and come before he returns. I head out. I stroll on street.

I was walking when a car stopped behind me. I turn around to see the driver. He stopped car at right time otherwise I would have been hit by the car. The driver comes out of the car. It was none other than my brother, Aaron. 

"What are you doing?" I say, annoyed. He walks to me, as he came near, I could smell alcohol from him. He drank.

"Nothing. I heard from someone that you work at SJ. You must have earn a lot then." Aaron says. I should have guessed it. He only wants money from me. I don't understand he himself warn alot, why ask money from me?

"So?" 

"Just give me a little." He really have no shame left.

"Why should I give you money which I earned by my hard work?" I defend.

"My family raised you. We took care of your expenses from childhood." He says.

"Fuck off. I will not giving you a single penny." I tell him. No longer the old Amy, who would have given him.

"You? My family raised such an ungrateful girl. You should be filial to the family who adopted you." Aaron states. "Be a good girl and give me money. If you don't have money why don't you give me that bracelet. Mom told me it's value is in millions." He demands like a thug. My bracelet the one Adam gifted me. The guts this guys have. I wanted to punch him on his face. In past, I have always given him money whenever he asked. I sold my jewelries for him, I even worked at a fashion boutique, as part time to earn money and gave it to him. But what he did with money I gave was to gamble and buy properties, illegally, in his name.

I can't take it anymore. If I want to change myself, I have to stand up for myself, be confident on myself and not look down on my worth,

"So that you can repay your gambling debt?" I state the fact. Hearing this he looked shocked. "Or buying properties under you name?" 

"You? How did you know?" He point his finger to me. 

"I also know many thing about your Walt family. So, you better behave yourself. I don't mind people knowing your dirty secrets." I warn him. For the first time, I talked in such tone. Used such words. 

Aaron was shocked beyond words. He was speechless. I walk away from him. Darcy was right. I am too naïve. I really trust people easily.

                                                                                               *

An hour ago. Before I met Aaron.

I was at a café. Drinking cup of tea. I sip the yea calming myself. I see Darcy enters the café. She is alone. Strange, she's not with Page. Seeing me here, she walks to me after placing her order. "Is seat taken?" She asks me, referring to the opposite seat.

"Nope." I say and take sip of tea.

There's a silent for few minute. None of us utter a word. After contemplating, she speaks, "Amy. I'm sorry." 

"It's in the past. I never in dreams could have to think to betray you or lied to you. I considered you my closest friend." I honestly tell her my thoughts. "Now, I think about the past, I guess you were forced to be associated with me."

"You are right. I was forced to be friend. I don't even wanted to speak with you." Darcy replies truthfully.

"Why? Why did you?" I ask her.

"You were easy to talk. You trusted everyone." Darcy tells. "You are naïve. You didn't even know whether the person is lying to you or not."

"I was an easy target. For you all." 

"You were. I though when you grew up you would change and understand that people are taking advantage of you. You didn't. You were the same fool. It like you never changed. After meeting your family I understood. Even your family was taking advantage of you." She pauses. "You understood it late. I guess even if you understood, you are still not gonna change yourself."

"I am nothing like I was in past." I tell her.

"Really?" She questions. Not convinced.

"If you are change, why didn't you took revenge on them? Why don't you take back what supposed to be yours? Why don't you fight against them?" 

"I don't want to fight." 

"You are scared to fight." 

"I am not." I am scared to fight against them. They can do anything to me.

"You are." She tells, "You are even a liar. You lied that you didn't took any alimony from Anthony." 

"I didn't took any thing from him. I left him him clean." I tell her.

"If you didn't. How did you get that bracelet? The bracket worth of millions?" Darcy ask. "Don't tell me. The person was so generous to give you something so expensive."

"It's a gift I got." I inform her.

"Such an expensive gift?" She raises her brows. I didn't speak. "If you say so." She is not convinced. And I am not gonna explain myself to her.

"Tell me. How did you get job in SJ?" She ask.

"Because of my skills?" I answered her.

"Really? I doubt."

I raise my brows. I frown.

"Honestly, your design are good. But they are average to get into such a big brand. You don't even have any achievement under your belt. You didn't even participate in any design competition. Forget about winning one. You just have an diploma. Not even a degree." Darcy keeps on stating facts. "Don't you find it strange? Someone is definitely helping you."