Chapter 3: And I Think It's Ok....

3rd Person POV:

It had been a few days since the horrifying discovery of Kira's past, and though the scars of her trauma would take a lifetime to heal, there was some solace in knowing that the police had successfully shut down the sex trafficking ring. Kira was now safe, placed with a loving foster family that Grace had personally vetted. The family welcomed Grace with open arms, assuring her she could visit Kira anytime she liked. It gave her a sense of peace, knowing the girl was in good hands.

The hospital was quiet that night as Grace clocked out, the hustle and bustle of the day finally giving way to the stillness of the evening. She let out a long breath, feeling the weight of the day lift slightly off her shoulders. Just as she was about to leave, she noticed Connor sitting alone on the couch in the doctor's lounge, his usually bright eyes clouded with fatigue and something deeper—sorrow.

Without hesitation, Grace walked over and sat down beside him, her presence a silent offer of comfort. "Connor?" she asked softly, her voice filled with concern. "What happened?"

Connor looked up at her, the weariness etched into his face. He took a deep breath, as if trying to steady himself before speaking. "One of my old patients, Paulina... she was only seventeen," he began, his voice thick with emotion. "She had a severe heart condition. We'd been waiting for a heart transplant, and today... today it was finally supposed to happen. But she was hit by a car on her way here. Died on impact. There was nothing I could do."

Grace's heart ached for him. She knew the burden he carried, the impossible expectations he placed on himself to save everyone who came through those hospital doors. "Connor," she said softly, placing a hand on his arm, "I'm so sorry. That's... it's unimaginable. But you know there was nothing you could have done."

Connor nodded, but the pain in his eyes remained. "I keep thinking, if I had just been there a little earlier, maybe... I don't know. It's hard not to feel like I failed her."

Grace squeezed his arm gently, her touch both reassuring and grounding. "Connor, listen to me," she said, her voice firm but kind. "My father used to tell me this old Chinese proverb: 'When the winds of change blow, some people build walls, others build windmills.' He always said that life is like a line of dominos, each one falling in a specific order, at a specific time. No matter what you do, those dominos will always fall the way they're meant to. Paulina's fate... it was out of your hands. You did everything you could."

Connor was quiet for a moment, letting her words sink in. He looked at her, grateful for her presence, for her understanding. "That's... a good way of looking at it," he admitted, though the pain in his chest hadn't fully eased.

Grace smiled softly, her heart swelling with affection for this man who carried the weight of the world on his shoulders. "Come on," she said, a spark of mischief in her eyes. "Let's get out of here. I know just the place to blow off some steam."

Connor raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "What did you have in mind?"

Grace's smile widened as she stood up, holding out her hand. "Trust me. You're going to love it."

Without hesitation, Connor took her hand, letting her lead him out of the hospital. The night air was cool and refreshing as they walked to her car, the tension slowly melting away with each step. Grace drove them through the winding streets of Chicago, eventually pulling up in front of a small, unassuming dive bar nestled in the heart of a vibrant South-East Asian neighborhood.

The neon sign outside flickered with the name of the bar, "The Jade Lotus," and the sound of lively music spilled out onto the street as they approached. The moment they stepped inside, Connor was enveloped by a warm, welcoming atmosphere. The air was filled with the smell of delicious food, the sound of laughter, and the rhythmic beat of live music being played on a small stage at the back.