Chapter 4: And Here's To Family....

3rd Person POV:

It had become a cherished ritual for Grace and Connor. Every week, they carved out time from their demanding schedules to explore the city together. Whether it was discovering quirky bars, browsing eclectic shops, or simply enjoying the tranquil beauty of Central Park or the pier, their outings had become a welcome escape from the pressures of their work.

On this particular morning, Grace and Connor walked into the hospital, their conversation light and filled with laughter. They had been discussing their plans for the week, but as they entered the building, Grace noticed a sudden shift in Connor's demeanor. He froze, his eyes widening in shock.

"What's wrong?" Grace asked, her voice laced with concern.

Connor's gaze was fixed on the waiting room, where a familiar face stood. His sister, Claire, was sitting there, her face etched with worry. Without a word, Connor hurried toward her, Grace trailing closely behind.

"Claire?" Connor's voice was filled with a mixture of surprise and concern as he approached her.

Claire looked up, her eyes red-rimmed and anxious. "Connor, I didn't know where else to go. Something terrible has happened."

Connor's heart raced as he took a seat beside her. "What happened? Are you okay?"

Claire took a shaky breath, her voice trembling as she spoke. "Our friend James... he was crushed by a ceiling fixture at the shop. It snapped and fell on him while they were setting it up. He's badly hurt."

Connor's face went pale as the gravity of the situation sank in. "Oh God, Claire. We need to get him here. Where is he now?"

"He's already been brought in," Claire said, her voice cracking. "He's in the ED."

Without another word, Connor stood up and turned to Grace, who had been silently observing the exchange. "We need to get to the ED," he said urgently.

Grace nodded, her expression serious. "Let's go."

They rushed through the hospital corridors, their footsteps echoing in the sterile environment. When they reached the ED, the scene was chaotic but under control. Grace and Connor immediately went to work, assessing James's condition and preparing him for treatment.

After a tense few minutes of stabilizing James, they wheeled him into the operating room. Connor and Grace exchanged a brief, determined glance before stepping out to talk to Claire.

Connor took a deep breath, trying to steady his emotions. "Claire, we've stabilized James, but his injuries are severe. We're taking him into surgery now. Grace will explain the procedure to you."

Grace stepped forward, her voice soothing as she spoke to Claire. "James is in good hands. We're doing everything we can to ensure he gets the best care possible. The surgery will be complex, but we're prepared for it. It's going to take some time, but we'll keep you updated on his condition."

Claire nodded, her gratitude evident despite her worry. "Thank you, Grace. I know he's in the best hands."

Grace offered her a reassuring smile. "We'll take care of him. Just try to stay positive."

Claire managed a weak smile, her eyes full of appreciation. "Thank you both. I don't know what I would do without you."

As Claire took a seat in the waiting area, Grace and Connor exchanged a glance, both feeling the weight of the situation. They had faced countless emergencies, but seeing someone they cared about in distress added an extra layer of emotional strain.

Connor took a deep breath, his voice steady but tinged with concern. "We'll get through this, Grace. We have to."

Grace nodded, her hand gently squeezing his arm. "We will. Let's focus on getting James through this."