Chapter 12: And I Failed...

3rd Person POV:

The morning sun gently filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over Grace's cozy living room. Connor and Grace were curled up together on the couch, Milo nestled between them, enjoying the rare moment of tranquility. Grace was bundled up in a soft blanket, her hair tousled and her face pale from her illness. Connor, on the other hand, was up and dressed in a crisp pair of scrubs, his dark hair still slightly disheveled from sleep.

"I hate leaving you like this," Connor said softly, brushing a strand of hair from Grace's forehead. He had been a constant presence over the past few days, tending to her needs with a tenderness that warmed her heart. "But I have to head into Med for the day."

Grace managed a weak smile, her voice still a little raspy. "I'll be fine, Connor. Just a little rest and Milo's company should do the trick. Besides, I'm glad you're here when you are."

Connor leaned down and kissed her gently. "I know you're tough. I just wish I could stay with you all day."

"I know," Grace said, taking his hand in hers. "But you have to work. Just make sure to check your phone occasionally."

Connor chuckled softly, pulling a drawer open to grab his designated work clothes. He had a little setup now at Grace's place, a designated drawer with some scrubs and a few essentials for the nights he stayed over. As he got ready, Grace sat up, Milo resting his head on her lap.

"You sure you'll be okay?" Connor asked, concern etched in his voice.

"I promise," Grace said. "I'm just going to take Milo for a short walk and pick up a few things. Nothing too strenuous."

Connor finished dressing and grabbed his bag. "Okay, but call or text me if you need anything. I'll be thinking about you."

As Connor headed out, Grace watched him with a mix of affection and appreciation. Milo wagged his tail excitedly, ready for their little outing. Grace wrapped herself in a warm coat and made her way out with Milo, feeling a little better with each step.

Back at Med, Connor settled into his shift with a hopeful message sent to Grace before he clocked in. "Hey, love. I hope you're feeling a bit better today. Miss you and can't wait to see you tonight. Love you."

Not long after Connor started his shift, the emergency department was hit with a flurry of activity. Four patients arrived almost simultaneously, all presenting with alarming symptoms: vomiting, hallucinations, high blood pressure, violent behavior, and seizures. The cases were urgent, and the team jumped into action with practiced efficiency.

Natalie Manning, being the pediatrician, was called in immediately as the patients were all teenagers ranging from 15 to 19. Will Halstead and Connor were also deeply involved in the treatment process, coordinating their efforts to manage the chaos.

Connor was in the midst of working on a male patient, a 19-year-old who was particularly agitated. As he focused on stabilizing the patient, his gaze fell on the boy's neck, where a distinctive birthmark was visible. Connor's heart skipped a beat as he recognized it from the photo he had seen at Grace's apartment.

He glanced closer, confirming his suspicion. The patient was Lucas, Grace's younger brother—the very same Lucas whom Grace had mentioned in passing but whom Connor had never met. The realization hit Connor like a ton of bricks. This was no ordinary case; this was personal.

"Will, I need a moment," Connor said, his voice tight with urgency. "I know this patient. He's Grace's brother."

Will looked up, his expression shifting from curiosity to concern. "Are you sure?"