Chapter 6: And You're It...

3rd Person POV:

Connor woke up the next morning to the gentle warmth of sunlight filtering through the curtains, casting a soft glow across the room. He blinked a few times, trying to shake off the last remnants of sleep, and then he realized that Grace was nestled into his side. Her head rested on his chest, her breath soft and steady against his skin. The peaceful expression on her face made his heart swell with a mixture of tenderness and protectiveness.

He carefully adjusted his position, his arm tightening around her as he gazed down at her. For a moment, he allowed himself to simply enjoy the quiet intimacy of the moment. Grace, as if sensing his wakefulness, stirred slightly, her eyes fluttering open. When she looked up at him, a sleepy smile curved her lips.

"Morning," she whispered, her voice still hushed with the remnants of sleep.

"Morning," Connor replied, his voice equally soft. He reached out, gently tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Did you sleep okay?"

Grace nodded, her eyes never leaving his. "I did, thanks to you." She paused, then added with a small, teasing smile, "You're surprisingly comfortable to cuddle with."

Connor chuckled, the sound low and soothing. "Glad I could be of service."

They stayed like that for a while, neither in a hurry to break the spell of the morning. The world outside might have been rushing forward, but in that moment, time seemed to slow down, leaving just the two of them in their own little bubble.

Eventually, Connor broke the comfortable silence. "Grace, I don't think you should go to work today."

She looked at him with a mixture of surprise and reluctance. "Connor, I can't just—"

He cut her off gently, his tone firm but caring. "You went through something traumatic yesterday. You need time to process it, to take care of yourself. The ED will be fine without you for a few days."

Grace hesitated, her eyes searching his. "I know you're right," she admitted softly. "But I don't want to feel like I'm running away."

Connor shook his head, his thumb brushing over her cheek in a comforting gesture. "It's not running away. It's taking care of yourself, giving yourself the space to heal. And you don't have to do it alone."

Grace sighed, finally relenting. "Okay, I'll stay home today."

"Good," Connor said, smiling in relief. "Take it easy, do whatever you need to do. Just... don't push yourself too hard."

She nodded, and after a few more minutes of quiet conversation, they both reluctantly got up to start the day. Grace showered and dressed in comfortable clothes while Connor prepared a quick breakfast for them both. They shared a meal filled with light conversation and quiet moments, the intimacy of the morning lingering between them like a soft melody.

As they finished eating, Connor stood up to gather his things for work. "Promise me you'll take it easy today?" he asked, his eyes locking with hers.

Grace offered him a reassuring smile. "I promise."

Connor nodded, satisfied, and leaned down to press a kiss to her forehead. "I'll see you later," he said softly before heading out the door.

Once he was gone, Grace took a deep breath, letting the quietness of the apartment settle around her. She spent the morning cleaning up, organizing her space in an attempt to bring some order back into her life. The familiar routine helped to calm her nerves, and by early afternoon, she found herself feeling more grounded.

Deciding she needed some fresh air, Grace took Milo for a walk to the pier, a place that always brought her peace. The rhythmic sound of the waves lapping against the shore and the salty breeze brushing against her skin felt like a balm to her frayed nerves. She found a quiet spot near the edge of the pier, sitting down with Milo by her side. The dog nestled close to her, his presence comforting and loyal.