Chapter 14: And You Didn't tell me...

3rd Person POV:

Connor was wrapping up his overtime shift at Med, exhausted but relieved that the day was finally coming to an end. He had just finished reviewing patient charts when his phone buzzed in his pocket. Glancing at the screen, he saw an unfamiliar number. He hesitated for a moment before answering.

"Dr. Rhodes speaking."

There was a brief silence on the other end before a familiar voice came through, shaky and desperate. "Connor, it's Lucas... Grace's brother."

Connor's heart skipped a beat, the fatigue from his long shift suddenly evaporating as concern took over. "Lucas? What's going on? Is everything okay?"

Lucas's voice trembled as he spoke, "No, not really. I... I'm at Chicago PD. They brought me in because I relapsed, but I swear I didn't take anything. I don't know how it got into my system, but they won't believe me. Please, you have to help me."

Connor's mind raced, the weight of the situation sinking in quickly. "Okay, Lucas, just stay calm. I'll come down to the station right now. But listen, does Grace know about this?"

"No," Lucas replied quickly, his voice laced with fear. "Please, don't tell her. She's been through so much already, and I can't put her through more. I just need you to come here and help me figure this out. Please, Connor."

Connor took a deep breath, conflicted about keeping this from Grace, but understanding Lucas's desperation. "Alright, Lucas. I won't say anything to her. I'll be there as soon as I can. Just hang tight."

"Thank you," Lucas whispered, his voice filled with relief. "I'll be waiting."

Connor ended the call, his thoughts a whirlwind as he quickly grabbed his jacket and headed out of the hospital. As much as he wanted to tell Grace, he couldn't ignore Lucas's plea. He knew how fragile the situation was, and he wanted to help Lucas without adding more stress to Grace's already heavy burden.

When Connor arrived at the Chicago PD precinct, the atmosphere was tense. He made his way to the front desk, where he was greeted by a stern-looking officer.

"Can I help you?" the officer asked, eyeing Connor curiously.

"I'm Dr. Connor Rhodes. I'm here to see Lucas Chen," Connor said, keeping his tone steady and professional.

The officer nodded, recognizing the name. "He's in one of the interrogation rooms. Follow me."

Connor was led down a hallway to a small, dimly lit room where Lucas was sitting, his head in his hands. The moment Connor walked in, Lucas looked up, his eyes red and filled with fear.

"Connor, thank you for coming," Lucas said, his voice barely above a whisper.

Connor took a seat across from him, his expression serious but compassionate. "Tell me what happened, Lucas. Start from the beginning."

Lucas took a shaky breath, trying to gather his thoughts. "I was doing fine in rehab. I really was. But then, out of nowhere, I started feeling... off. Dizzy, lightheaded, like I was high, but I hadn't touched anything. I swear, Connor, I didn't take any drugs. But when they tested me, it came back positive for heroin."

Connor frowned, leaning forward slightly. "Heroin? That doesn't make sense, especially if you didn't take anything. Did you eat or drink something that could have been tampered with?"

Lucas shook his head, his frustration evident. "No, nothing unusual. I've been so careful, but now... Now they think I've relapsed, and I'm scared, Connor. If this gets back to Grace..."

Connor placed a reassuring hand on Lucas's shoulder. "We'll figure this out, Lucas. I believe you. But first, we need to go over everything you've done in the past 24 hours. There has to be something we're missing."