Chapter 3: Mini Mayhem

The studio buzzed with an unusual level of energy as the girls and their mothers gathered in Studio A. It was the start of a new week, and everyone was abuzz with excitement and a hint of anxiety. Today was particularly significant because the new Mini Team would be making their debut. However, instead of jumping straight into competition, they would be taking classes to get acquainted with the studio's rigorous routines.

Mason stood at the front of the room, his expression serious yet enthusiastic. "It's a big day as today, we'll be debuting the new Mini Team, but they won't be competing, though, and will be taking class," he said.

"He's right," Abby chimed in, her voice carrying her usual authority.

Holly raised an eyebrow, clearly concerned. "Abby, Mason, how will that work with the mini team if you're already limited with the resource of time?"

Mason nodded, ready for the question. "To answer that, we'll use more faculty members."

Abby stepped forward to add, "Moving along, we have to talk about the competition from the previous week. Unfortunately, we didn't have a winner, winner, chicken dinner in the solo divisions. Not in Nia's division or Kendall and Mackenzie's division, and the group lost as well. The difference is that Maddie has an uncanny ability to hear things in the music that others don't. She's the glue that holds the group together."

"Great analysis, Mase," Abby said, giving Mason a nod of approval. "Now let's head to the pyramid."

The girls shuffled into place, and the pyramid was unveiled. Kendall, Nia, and Mackenzie were on the lower level. Brynn and JoJo were in the middle, and at the top, as if perched on a pedestal, was Kalani. Mason threw a playful wink towards Kalani, who blushed furiously.

"Kalani is now a babysitter again," Abby announced, a hint of amusement in her tone. The girls gathered around Kalani, offering congratulations and hugs. Mason planted a quick kiss on her cheek. "Last night, Kira gave birth to a baby boy named Jett. So now Kalani has two little brothers—Jax, her second sibling, is now the middle child."

"Good, Kira was healthy and everybody is happy," Abby said. "Mason, can you tell the girls where we're headed?"

Mason cleared his throat. "We'll be attending Devotion 2 Dance this week. You'll be completely devoted to dance this week. Kendall, mom promised a solo to our highest-scoring soloist, which is you. The name of your dance is 'All Eyes Are on Me,' so make sure to pay close attention to the lyrics. You placed third last week."

Jill piped up, "The dance went downhill when Kendall had a meltdown backstage about her makeup and didn't want to do what she was given."

Jill's comment was swiftly countered by Jill, "She did exactly what she was given, without latex on her face."

Abby cut in before the argument could escalate. "All right, the next solo will go to JoJo, and it'll be known as 'I'll Show You the Dark Side.' But there's a catch—no bow-bow for the entire week."

A ripple of laughter and murmurs went through the room, but Abby continued, "Kendall couldn't convey the pain and agony of the song to the judges. We have the group routine, and Gianna isn't here as she'll be attending a wedding. The group dance is hip-hop and is called 'Straight Outta LA.' With the minis here this week, we'll be busy, so we're bringing in some helpers. Meet Rumer Noel and Guy Amir!"

The studio burst into applause as Rumer Noel, a light-blond woman in her early twenties, and Guy Amir, a 25-year-old with an easygoing demeanor, walked in. Abby and Mason greeted them with warm hugs and high fives.

"How's it going?" Abby asked, her tone friendly.

"Good," Rumer replied with a bright smile.

Mason turned to the newcomers, "We've got a bunch of kids coming in. Are you two ready to start on the group dance?"