Chapter 7: Maddie's Moment, Abby's Mood

Two days later, the studio was buzzing with the familiar energy of dancers preparing for another intense week of training. Maddie, back from her brief hiatus, was among them, stretching and warming up alongside her teammates. The air was charged with a mix of excitement and apprehension as the team geared up for the upcoming competition.

In the back office, Abby and Mason were putting the final touches on their plans for the week. Chloe, Christi, and the other moms had taken their usual seats on the benches, engaged in their own conversations about the return of their star dancer.

"Are you excited to be back?" JoJo's voice broke through the clamor, her enthusiasm evident.

"Yes, I'm excited to be back," Maddie replied with a bright smile, though her eyes betrayed a hint of unease. "But I'm not excited for the stressful competition."

"You don't miss the drama," Kendall chimed in, her tone laced with understanding.

"Right," Maddie agreed, laughing lightly.

"We don't blame you," Kalani remarked, joining in the camaraderie as the group continued their warm-up routine.

Chloe, Christi, and the moms were chatting animatedly, their conversation peppered with updates and friendly banter.

"I'm just so excited that Maddie is back and we're like, a complete group again," Melissa said, her voice full of relief and happiness.

"Except for Kira," Christi added with a wry smile. "But she won't be here because she doesn't want to be in the same building as Ashlee."

"She's right," Holly agreed, nodding in sympathy as Abby and Mason approached the group.

"Hello, ladies," Mason greeted with a friendly wave.

"You two look very nice," Jill complimented, her eyes sparkling with genuine admiration.

"Oh, thanks," Abby responded with a warm smile before she and Mason headed into Studio A, their focus shifting to the day's tasks.

"Looks like the fearless leader is back," Holly observed, her tone a mix of hope and skepticism.

"But to be honest, I'm not holding my breath," Chloe commented, her expression reflecting cautious optimism.

"Yeah," Ashlee and Christi agreed, following Abby and Mason into Studio A as well.

Jessalynn, always quick to address the underlying tension, turned to Abby. "Last week, we found you in pajamas and weren't ready to do the pyramid. Now this week, we find you rearing to go. Is that because of Maddie returning?"

"No," Abby answered flatly, her gaze unwavering.

"You said that you don't have the passion and aren't interested in this anymore," Holly pointed out. "Has that changed?"

"I still have the passion to choreograph and create," Abby asserted, her voice firm.

"It's mom's passion and it's about financial issues; it is what it is," Mason added pragmatically.

"You got that right," Abby agreed, giving Mason a grateful look. "All right, it was a successful trip to Arizona, and Maddie, you're back."

The room erupted into applause as Maddie gave a modest nod of acknowledgment.

"You were a winner up until that point. When you came back, you went and came back and went—you didn't win. You've got to get back in the groove and be the number one girl out there every week again," Abby declared, her tone brooking no argument. "Do you get the memo?"

"Yes," Maddie responded confidently, though a trace of nervousness lingered in her eyes.

"Did you see her do the Ellen?" Melissa asked, turning to Abby and Mason with a hopeful look. "In case you didn't, I sent it to you."