Chapter 4: Spotlight Showdown

The studio was quiet, a stark contrast to the usual clamor of practiced feet and vibrant voices. The silence was occasionally broken by the muffled sobs of Abby Lee Miller from the sanctuary of her office. Outside, the dim light of morning was slowly giving way to the day's bustle as the rest of the team waited anxiously in the lobby, their curiosity growing with each passing minute.

Abby's hands trembled as she gripped the phone. Mason sat beside her, his eyes red-rimmed and exhausted from both his own emotional turmoil and his mother's distress as he had been crying as well. He rubbed her back soothingly, trying to offer what comfort he could.

"Hello, it's Abby Lee Miller," she said, her voice barely concealing her fear. "Not good. Not good. I'm in a crisis and I probably shouldn't have crossed you. I'm sitting in the back office of my studio, my private personal space. I've had it. Five years of my life—I've made these kids stars and I've helped my son become a star since he started acting. If you can help me, help me. Yes, you can help me."

As Abby continued her desperate call, the studio lobby buzzed with concern and confusion. Melissa, Holly, Jill, Jessalynn, and Ashlee entered with their daughters in tow. Maddie, Mackenzie, Nia, Kendall, JoJo, and Brynn looked around, their expressions reflecting a mix of anticipation and worry.

"Does Abby not know what time class starts?" Jill's frustration was evident. "We somehow got our kids up at 7:00 am, dressed, rearing to go, and yet, where is she? That's nuts."

"Do we think that Abby's coming back?" Jessalynn asked, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"Who knows?" Melissa said with a sigh, her concern palpable.

Maddie, sitting with her friends, tried to shift the focus. "How was filming the movie?" Nia asked, breaking the heavy silence.

"It's like the coolest thing ever," Maddie replied, a small smile appearing despite the situation. "Now I know how Mason feels when he films a movie. He's always told us it's the coolest thing ever. This might sound weird, but you feel like a movie star, like Mason."

JoJo beamed at Maddie's words. "You are and you have a right to say that. Maybe you took notes from Mason whenever he filmed something."

As the girls chatted, the Mini Team entered the studio—8-year-old Alexus Oladi, 9-year-old Alysa Owen, 10-year-old Areana Lopez, and 6-year-old Peyton Evans, accompanied by their mothers Tiffanie Oladi, Mary Owen, Sari Lopez, and Kerri Evans.

"Here are the Minis," Jill said, a sudden idea forming. "Maybe we can send the Mini moms in."

"Hi girls," Melissa greeted, her voice bright but her eyes betraying concern. The Minis and their mothers sat down on the far side of the bench, their presence adding a small measure of normalcy to the tense atmosphere.

Mary and Kerri exchanged glances before heading to Abby's office. Jessalynn watched them with a sly grin, nudging Ashlee. "Jess, you're horrible," Ashlee chuckled, watching the Mini moms approach.

When Mary and Kerri entered the office, they were greeted by the sight of Abby, her face streaked with tears, and Mason, whose own tears fell freely as he tried to support his mother.

"Hello, Miss Abby. Hello, Mason," Kerri said gently.

"Morning," Mary added, her tone soft with sympathy.

Abby looked up, her face a mask of distress. "I am hysterical. I've done everything. There's nothing more I can do. My hair is in rollers, I'm in my slippers, and I have a huge legal issue going on. I can give you a list of things I've been dealing with. I'm finished."

"What's going on?" Kerri asked, her concern growing.

"No clue," Mary responded, glancing back at the door. "But it's clear her son is equally as upset as she is."

They left Abby's office, and the Mini moms rejoined the group. The chatter resumed, but the topic of Abby's absence lingered.

"What is she upset about?" Jill inquired, her frustration evident.

"I don't know what she's upset about," Kerri admitted. "And I can see that her son is equally as upset as she is."

"She has had all day to get herself together," Jill said, shaking her head in disbelief.

Melissa and Jill decided to take matters into their own hands. They knocked on the office door before entering.

"Who's in here?" Mason's voice was strained.

"It's us, Melissa and Jill," Melissa replied softly.

"Alright, you don't understand how serious this is," Abby said, her voice thick with emotion. "Get out of here!"

"Can we please have some privacy?!" Mason added, his frustration mixing with his sadness.

Melissa and Jill exchanged worried glances before stepping back out into the lobby. The weight of the situation was beginning to settle in, and the girls continued to wait, their spirits dampened by the uncertainty.

Despite the chaos, the girls carried on with their rehearsals. They worked diligently, their routines reflecting their dedication and resilience. The Minis quickly bonded with Mason, who, despite his own turmoil, tried to make their experience enjoyable. They watched his movies, followed his TV appearances, and engaged with his YouTube videos, feeling a special connection with the star.

The following Saturday, at the Dream National Dance Competition held at Santa Monica High School, the results were a testament to their hard work. Brynn claimed 1st place in the Junior Soloist Division, Maddie secured 2nd in the Teen Soloist Division, and the group performance took 1st in the Teen Soloist Division. The Mini Team earned 2nd place in the Mini Group Division, even though Abby and Mason were noticeably absent.

The following week, the drama took another turn. Abby and Mason locked the team out of the studio, an action that shocked everyone. In a surprising turn of events, Debbie Allen extended an invitation to the girls to work with her. Nakul, a special guest choreographer, brought a fresh perspective to the team, putting the Minis into a Bollywood routine alongside the older girls.

The competition that followed was a resounding success. The combined team won 1st place in the Junior Division, Kalani and Nia clinched 1st in the Teen Duet/Trio Division, Brynn and Kendall took 3rd in the Junior Duet/Trio Division, and Alexus and Peyton earned 1st in the Mini Duet/Trio Division. Maddie's absence was felt, as she was busy filming The Book of Henry, but the team's performance spoke volumes of their resilience and talent.

As the week came to a close, the team reflected on their journey. They had faced challenges and uncertainties but emerged stronger, their bond solidified through their shared experiences. And though Abby's crisis loomed large, the girls and their families found solace in their achievements and the support they had for each other.